Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently converted my 145 to five stud, i was wondering if anyone has done a stud conversion as i am thinking of doing it, i have purchased these. just waiting for them to arrive:
Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design
Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design
I was thinking of leaving the fifth bolt hole empty to allow for standard locking bolts.

P.S. i will add pics later, and again when the front is sorted, runing 17" on the back 15" on the front at the moment. But will soon have brembos runing with the 147 lusso wheels, three big holes.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
What parts did you use to convert to 5 stud?

I dont really see the advantage to studs over wheel bolts. I know competition cars use them and I can see the advantage for large heavy wheels but Im not really sure why some cars have bolts and some have studs

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just easier to assemble, also the 145 bolts, even thought longer are not threaded all the way down the shank. so my wheels are bodged on at the moment :( the stud conversion is a fairly cheap option to get it sorted.
Gtv rear hubs and discs were used, straight on.
Front is still in progress, modification to the gtv hub carrier is needed to allow for mounting to the 145 shock. Brembos off of a gtv or fiat coupe with gtv discs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have GTV fronts on my 146 V6, with the GTV Brembo calipers. Works fine with greater choice of wheels although it is more limited when you fit the Brembo's because of the offset needed to clear the caliper, wheel spacers work but it makes for poor wheelarch clearance unless you go for 40 profile tyres. Mine is on coilovers and adj. top mounts so can be adjusted to suit. Pics on the '146 V6ti Project continues' thread

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No they are too wide for the shock mounts and the spacing is different, they have to be redrilled and ground down to fit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its done, after days of messing around and headaches. Stud conversion on the back still needs doing, but the brembos and the wheels are on. I have taken it for tracking and the camber was spot on, toe obviously needed adjustment. Will upload pics when i can.
Anyone attempting this be warned it is a lot of messing about if you do it my way. It probably would have been alot easier to have kept 4 stud wheels with just a brembo conversion braket on standard hubs, but then that would be too easy, and i already had the parts :cheese:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Well you certainly wont see many 145's with those alloys on :cool:

·
Registered
226 Posts
i've had a stud conversion on mine for 30.000 miles now with no problems.

i used lightweight alloy nuts too which everyone told me not too, i did buy 20 and have had to replace one as it stuck on a stud, but i use plenty of copper grease now

a hell of a lot easier changing wheels now

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats made me feel better, was always paranoid of a wheel overtaking me :lol: Thanks for the comments, they have made the job more worthwhile.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking of running lighter nuts, but im a bit low on funds at the moment. Spent my last bit of expendable money on a vacuum gauge, Im going to try and blend it in to the pillar.
Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I was thinking of running lighter nuts, but im a bit low on funds at the moment. Spent my last bit of expendable money on a vacuum gauge, Im going to try and blend it in to the pillar.
Cheers for the advice.
Why would you want lighter nuts? Is that the same as "having balls of titanium?" :cheese:

Is the vacuum gauge to continuously monitor engine health?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vacuum performance can give you an indication to engine health, plus it looks cool.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts