Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an odd one for all.

For a while now, my G (diesel) has on occasions developed a 'boiling water in steel pot' smell after a drive (never a short drive). Simultaneously, there's always crackling sounds of metal expansion/contraction from the rear of the vehicle.

I have thought it was burning/dragging rear brakes and have asked the dealer to review it at annual service. They never came back with a problem or explanation.

Whilst I am not seeing any mechanical failures at present but is most curious of the source of this observation. Has any other seen similar? I am thinking of the exhaust system next...

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
Check there isn't a cable rubbing on the inside of your rear tyres.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Could it be that the DPF has just done a regen? Used to get a similar kind of smell when my Brera ran through the regen cycle and I stopped just after it had finished.

Not sure if you get similar symptoms on the G though...

·
Registered
708 Posts
My thoughts exactly regarding the regen. My g's exhaust smelled horrible 2 days ago when i parked it in the garage. Checked with diagnostic cable, and sure enough showed an interrupted regen 0km ago!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Metal expansion/contraction sounds" might be due to extreme heat generated during regen cycle.
Thanks for this "regen" diagnosis. Just read up on it on Wiki in relation to 'diesel particulate filters' and it makes sense. Odd is that I have owned and driven past diesel VW Golf for many years, I have never come across a similar episode. On the G, it's been quite a few times already over close to 2 years of ownership. It's almost like dripping water on a hot metal plate with all that sizzle.

Anyway, this 'regen' suggestion makes sense and is most reassuring. As long as it's not the brakes or other safety equipments.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
sticking brake? Put your hand near all the wheels, if one is hotter than the rest, that's probably it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts