Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking for guess-timate's to fix a fist sized dent in the rear quarter panel of my GTV. The wheel arch is dented and the paint is broken. I understand there are 2 layers so it's a pain to fix.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
if there is a sharp in take of breath £400 if its combined with rubbing of the chin at same time £800

bodyshop labour hours and paint are extremly expensive figure between them 2 figures somewhere i think

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In the South i know bodyshops that would repair a fist sized dent for £200 shop around, my mate has just had a complete respray for £800.Paint is far more expensive than in the past but a quarter panel would only require around 1 litre of basecoat and a litre of laquer basecoat can be had for £36 a litre laquer is around £10 a litre.....We are in a recession bodyshops want cash.

·
Administrator
23,038 Posts
Yes it is very expensive.

A friend of mine bought a GTV and the previous owner had dropped a set of golf clubs on the rear offside quarter panel. It left a huge unsightly dent there. He was quoted £500 +VAT then - 2005.

My friend decided to buy the car anyway and negotiated an appropriate discount.

As luck would have it the same friend a few months later was driving along an icy road, was tailgated (slight nudge from the car behind) and therefore couldn't quite turn in time and smacked the front nearside wheel against the kerb. This in turn meant the car slid in the opposite direction and landed near a fence on the other side of the road. It damaged the front wishbone and steering balljoint.

My friend then claimed that the fence had hit the rear offside panel. It was plausable but untrue.

End result - everything repaired including panel and all down to tailgater's insurers - even excess paid by the other side.

I will not comment upon the morality - but a result.

BTW - this is the story they told me - could just a bit of internet bragging.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i would like to see the £800 full respray Seymourbever not doubting you at all but i would have guesed £2000 for the "as new" quality

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Motor traders have got down to a fine art the cost of body repairs in these hard times.We are not talking insurance jobs here we are talking the real world. Autopaint is supplied by mitchells or autopaints to name but two suppliers, using the same materials as sprayed on the car when new even at £400 on materials a respray of 2k is going some! Plenty of bodyshops work on £40 per hour it wouldnt take 40 hours to prepare mask up and spray a gtv, if it did the staff should be sacked and the manager be fired for being on the fiddle! Ive just resprayed the side of a sprinter van for £275 including paint.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've a approx. 2 inch by 1/2 inch bit of rust on the wheel arch, went to a local bodyshop who quoted €500 to repair and respray, then had a recommendation for a smart repair place, who quoted €180

Might be worth trying the smart repair guys if it's on the wheel arch?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm having my roof painted (130 Rosso) on Tuesday by a mate of mine, who funnily enough worked with me in the 90's at the local Alfa dealer in the bodyshop...

Mates rates... £125

Its got no damage, just lots of lacquer flaking off in chunks! (about 1/5th of the roof)

But shop around, as bodyshops are very quiet at the moment, and wave pound notes!! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts