Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm opening this thread about BMW 3 series,
my brother bought is few months ago and it is nothing but a trouble,we have been posting threads on various BMW sites but there's extremely low number of responses or not at allso i decided to post it here coz the peeps here are quite confident in cars and we might solve the problem,
the problem is a very strange noise in cold air intake system or in turbo,haven't be to dealers yet(this is the last chance to avoid them) some indi suggested flywheel and clutch-changed,turbo-rebuilt twice,breather and all relating stuff changed noise still there,
if anyone of you could identify what's wrong with this junk would appreciate very much,
here's the link BMW noise - YouTube
it is 3 series 320d 2 liter,2005,
thanks a lot folks

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That doesn't sound good and sounds like ba timiing or valve problem .:eek:
As spider 95 said could well be a timming chain tensioner/guide.
If it was a petrol I'd say the bottom end was going.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no engine works and pulls great,if it was stretched it wouldn't make this noise anyway
the chain problems are symptomatic for engine mainly produced from 2006 to 2011

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wastegate probably? It makes the noise when reving down so the wastegate opens to let off pressure. Just an idea

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
someone else also suggested wastegate what would be your advise of diagnosing it mate?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, the wastegate of "standard" cars is of "internal" type and they are not supposed to produce such kind of noise. This is the reason (along with better turbo output) why people exchange them with "external" type, they make exactly this kind of sound but much louder. I would say that if you look under the car or better at the manifold you might notice a leak at the wastegate. Again just a thought as i have very little experience with turbo motors let alone diesels.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as i figured out these are vgt or vnt turbos and they do not have wastgate ???

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A friend of mine had the cam chain break on a 320d a couple of years ago. Car had not done many miles but he had real problems getting anything out of BMW. Still ended up costing him a lot of money....
There has been a fair bit on Watchdog abou this I believe.
And Alfa's are unreliable :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't know much about turbo's either but that just sounds mechanical. :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
has it always sounded liked that? (i mean since the problem started!)

Or did it appear to make a dump valve type sound when letting off the throttle and it has progressed to this sound?

Poss turbo stall making innards bounce a bit? just a pure guess because it comes on when you let off boost/accelerator.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Did you read out the ECU already ? it sounds like the waste gate and as the engine pulls OK
I would not worry to much...a diesel is noisy anyway

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys,i've got more replies here overnight then him for 6 months on bmw forums :lol:,
and Back2Alfa-i suppose it always sounded like this ,he did not pay any attention to it until turbo(rebuilt with warranty)started throwing smoke into the engine bay,he then thought it was flywheel which really was gone but changing fly wheel and clutch didn't fix it,by the way i was pretty surprised bmw parts are relatively cheap,flywheel+clutch 4 piece kit+labor= 750 euro,
anyway,most probably he'll have to go to dealer,indis did not find any fault in ecu and we've been told that only bmw dealer can read completely the hidden bmw codes,
before he bought this car he asked me for advise and i told him to go for 159,he even was driving my 156 few times to see what is it to drive alfa but still bought 320 as more reliable god damn it

·
Registered
38,276 Posts
Was you car one of the ones affected by dodgy swirl flaps?

Normally they break off and get sucked into the engine, maybe yours have broken off and are stuck in the intake?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no it is deflapped,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts