Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
People judge Alfa's all the time so why not judge others ?

Had it been old people I would have blamed them, are you saying it is coincedence that the majority of poor drivers own a Beemer ? I'm not saying they are the only ones cos that would be silly. anyhow this is a rant room after all !! and now i feel a lot better :)

E

·
0 Posts
my thoughts exactly.the car doesnt make them drive like that you know
It does. The heated rear window doubles as an aerial for mind-control rays that make the owner drive like a plonker.

It's on other cars, too. Certain hatchbacks have a system for implanting the desire for little blue lights under the sills. Fiats remove all traces of imperfection from the minds of their owners, turning them into superior beings.

...and now i feel a lot better :)
And that's the main thing. :)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the car doesnt make them drive like that you know
well, I don't know, an Alfa encourages an 'up and at'em' approach, whereas when I had my Saab it was altogether more calming and yes, maybe I was more considerate of the failings of others.

So with this in mind it's not inconceivable that the owners of these aspirational/prestige cars makes feel that they have a sense of superiority, after all the ads for their cars have been selling that message for years so some is bound to rub off on some people.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
after all the ads for their cars have been selling that message for years so some is bound to rub off on some people
very true! there are certain things drummed into our heads from birth through advertisements/marketing so i guess it would make sense for people in their prestige cars to behave differently

·
Registered
171 Posts
Driving up the M1 yesterday to attend a meeting and some fat [email protected] in a beemer overtakes on the outside lane and then immediately cuts into the 2nd lane. Missed my front end by a few inches and then slows down !! WHY ??? If i had a banger of a car I would have stuck my foot down and buried it up his arse (literally).
2nd beemer on the same stretch of road decided to undertake and realise he was travelling to fast for the middle lane a preceeds to cut me up by pulling in front of me on the outside lane ! After a good old hand gesture he pulled into lane 2 to which I showed him my sign ,,|,, of appreciation.

Have BMW drivers become the idiots of the road ?
there all merchant bankers mate!:thumbs:

·
Registered
16,895 Posts
Hi,

I'm always a little wary of lumping all drivers into groups defined by their age, sex, choice of car, or career.

It is not true that 'all' BMW drivers are terrible.
It is not true that all kids in a 106GTi is a reckless boy racer
It is not true that retired folks in a new Volvo are brain dead

There are drivers that are impatient, drivers that are angry, drivers that are, frankly, rubbish, drivers that speed, drivers that don't join the dots between the events unfolding in front of them, drivers that don't understand the concept of shared road space and cooperation.

Those are the drivers - and driving characteristics - that concern me. Not what make of car they drive or demographic they fit into.

g

R

·
0 Posts
To add a bit of balance a new BMW M3 coming towards me today on a narrow street actually pulled in to let me through rather than just driving straight at me. I was pleasantly surprised and gave the standard courtesy wave before continuing.

·
Registered
499 Posts
the car doesnt make them drive like that you know
No, I think it's the other way round: the sort of people who drive like arrogant ar5es tend to buy BMW's. Not so long ago, you only got thirty-something suits with bad attitudes in Beemers, so almost all of them were driven badly.

It's not quite as clear cut now though, since the 3 Series has replaced the Mondeo and Vectra as Mondeo Man's choice. They're now just family cars, so quite a few are driven considerately these days.

I must admit though, I'm still surprised every time I see a Beemer coming up behind me and it doesn't tailgate me or overtake dangerously.

Ian

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
i don't care if people wanna overtake but why pull in without indicating and then slow down.
There's nothing in the highway code that states you have to indicate your intention to pull back in, if he overtook you then pulled in without indicating that's fine because he was travelling faster than you.

The fact that you perceived he slowed down immediately, well couldn't you just give him the benefit of the doubt that he misjudged his manoeuvre?

I think there's 2 sides to this story and your attitude of "if I had a banger I'd ram it up his ass" makes you look more of a [email protected] than him.

:loser:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Hi,

I'm always a little wary of lumping all drivers into groups defined by their age, sex, choice of car, or career.

It is not true that 'all' BMW drivers are terrible.
It is not true that all kids in a 106GTi is a reckless boy racer
It is not true that retired folks in a new Volvo are brain dead

There are drivers that are impatient, drivers that are angry, drivers that are, frankly, rubbish, drivers that speed, drivers that don't join the dots between the events unfolding in front of them, drivers that don't understand the concept of shared road space and cooperation.

Those are the drivers - and driving characteristics - that concern me. Not what make of car they drive or demographic they fit into.

g
Couldn't have said it better myself, although I will add it's just another symptom of how our society has degraded :(. Calm down out there lads, we don't want to hear about any alfa drivers being shot by people they ****ed off by flicking them the bird.

·
Registered
879 Posts
There's nothing in the highway code that states you have to indicate your intention to pull back in, if he overtook you then pulled in without indicating that's fine because he was travelling faster than you.

The fact that you perceived he slowed down immediately, well couldn't you just give him the benefit of the doubt that he misjudged his manoeuvre?

I think there's 2 sides to this story and your attitude of "if I had a banger I'd ram it up his ass" makes you look more of a [email protected] than him.

:loser:
Surely you must indicate before changing lanes either way on the motorway though? :confused:

H

·
0 Posts
Surely you must indicate before changing lanes either way on the motorway though? :confused:
You should indicate before starting any manouvre when there is traffic around you, be they in front, to the side or behind you.

I believe there is nothing specifically mentioned in the highway coed about signalling to move over at the end of an overtaking manouvre, but I tend to do it anyways, there might just be a biker or somesuch small fast moving vehicle that I've not spotted, and it pays to tell people what you're about to do.

If there's nobody about, and you know that for fact, then there's no requirement to indicate.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
You should indicate before starting any manouvre when there is traffic around you, be they in front, to the side or behind you.

I believe there is nothing specifically mentioned in the highway coed about signalling to move over at the end of an overtaking manouvre, but I tend to do it anyways, there might just be a biker or somesuch small fast moving vehicle that I've not spotted, and it pays to tell people what you're about to do.

If there's nobody about, and you know that for fact, then there's no requirement to indicate.
i indicate if theres traffic, nothing worse than pulling into the middle lane from the outside to find some numpty pulling into the middle lane from the inside without signalling:mad: good road sense is one thing mind reading is another.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So, if when he pulled back in front of me and hit me because of HIS "Poor Manouver" I guarantee you i'd be paying the insurance. They would deem it as a hit from behind.

:loser: ,,|,,

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
i indicate if theres traffic, nothing worse than pulling into the middle lane from the outside to find some numpty pulling into the middle lane from the inside without signalling:mad: good road sense is one thing mind reading is another.
To me it's nothing to do with mind reading it's about reading the road and other road users.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

Isn't it the overtaker's responsibility to make sure that he doesn't pull back into the other driver's braking disctance?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Isn't it the overtaker's responsibility to make sure that he doesn't pull back into the other driver's braking disctance?
Yes that's true, but like I said earlier people make misjudgements, we aren't infallible and by Jonsiv's own admission in comments on this thread he's a bit of an aggressive driver, so my earlier comment stands...

Two sides to every story.

I'm not saying I'm a paragon of driving virtue, far from it, I get angry with people too, but the rant just sounded more like a pop at BMW drivers than BAD drivers and that pushed my fairness button. :)

21 - 40 of 76 Posts