Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW gave us a brand new X3 auto diseasel MSport with a 9inch screened entertainment/nav system heated everything, automatic everything from thursday last week to monday this week on trial.

Car was awesome, when they delivered it we asked if they wanted us to fuel it on return, guy said nope just make sure it has enough fumes to get me to the petrol station. They gave it to us with half a tank.

BMW know how to court a potential buyer, Alfa Romeo could do well to learn from them.

Car was also brilliant in every way, so thats what wifeys new motor will be :)

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
They know how to make & market cars, thats why theres millions of them on the roads. My Mrs has just ended up in a Mk5 Golf because Alfa don't do a medium-sized diesel auto. I'd rather she had a 147 but its diesel manual or Selespeed petrol - not enough choice.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye.. but those German motors always go wrong and then their dealers are pretty feeble... :D

Ralf S.
Is that sarcasm? My existing BM has been impeccable, not a single failure in over 70 thousand miles. Both times its been serviced it has come back fully valeted.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Er my mum's 70K mile 3 series, which she had from new and serviced yearly at main dealers, was an absolute crumbly old dog, with shot suspension, a hole in the block near the gearbox, a blown cam cover gasket, and juddering brakes.

My mother in laws 3 series had a shonky clutch and dashboard rattles at 2 years old, both of which the dealer flatly denied the existence of. Ars*holes.

So BMW have just as many issues as other manufacturers, they just market cars really, really well. In fact in the advertising industry many or their practices are examined and exalted. That doesn't mean that on average their cars are any better than anyone elses.

BTW Nice marketing strategy they've used here- give the customer a car you know is not a lemon, with a small fortunes' worth of accessories on it and they'll want to buy one! I find looking at the options list gives a minor cardiac event though...

You cannot fault their marketing dept, bl**dy good.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
When I said "they know how to make & market cars", I didn't mean they know how to screw them together better or worse than other manufacturers, just that they know how to design cars that are desirable for the average member of the public.

BTW, I chose to use the word 'member' on purpose there :lol:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was :lol:

2 services in 70k.. Jesus..
That's the condition based servicing for you, it works out when it's actually due rather than based on some arbitrary number plucked out of the air.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Er my mum's 70K mile 3 series, which she had from new and serviced yearly at main dealers, was an absolute crumbly old dog, with shot suspension, a hole in the block near the gearbox, a blown cam cover gasket, and juddering brakes.

My mother in laws 3 series had a shonky clutch and dashboard rattles at 2 years old, both of which the dealer flatly denied the existence of. Ars*holes.

So BMW have just as many issues as other manufacturers, they just market cars really, really well. In fact in the advertising industry many or their practices are examined and exalted. That doesn't mean that on average their cars are any better than anyone elses.

BTW Nice marketing strategy they've used here- give the customer a car you know is not a lemon, with a small fortunes' worth of accessories on it and they'll want to buy one! I find looking at the options list gives a minor cardiac event though...

You cannot fault their marketing dept, bl**dy good.
I've driven lots of recent BMWs (our work fleet is entirely BMW) from 3 series to 7 series and now the X3, I've driven the competition and after a good 6-700 miles driving to Pembrokeshire and back in it (and around whilst down there) I can say that the Q5 we tested for a couple of days was just blown out of the water and the Evoque we were thinking of getting has serious competition in a well specced X3 purely on it's competency (even if it aint the greatest looking car on the road, bit ugly and vulgar to be honest).

yes they market well, but they also have a really good product.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Can you elaborate?
Sensor measures how dirty/degraded the oil is and tells you when it needs to be changed is the theory. Whether these engines reach 250k miles with this type of servicing remains to be seen, but I don't suppose BMW or new car buyers really care as long as they do 100k.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Quite a good idea as long as the sensors are in good order.

Seeing as manufacturers can't make an outside temp sensor last more than a few years it's a bit of a worry :lol:

I guess oil is much better than it used to be too, my van has 18k miles service shedules although I'll change the oil inbetween out of habbit more than anything.

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
Oil is better but I don't think it is that much better. I think its more a case of making the cars seem cheaper to service to sway more people into buying one. Its probably cheaper to replace the odd engine under warranty than to lose x amount of sales because of 10k services rather than 20k. Statisticians will have run models to work out all the variables.

BTW one of our customers did 100k in just over 2 years in a 147 1.9 8v diesel and didn't ever change the oil. He just kept topping it up as it burnt quite a bit, until his turbo failed. The car already had 100k on it when he bought it. They will take oil abuse, the diesels in particular, but it doesn't do them any good in the long run. If this particular engine didn't burn any oil I suspect it would have failed much sooner as it would have turned to sludge. The oil looks knackered when it comes out of my JTD after 6-7k, and it doesn't feel the same between my fingertips as new oil. Dread to think what 20k oil is like...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I've never changed the oil in my diesel Alfa as I've only averaged 7k a year in ownership so it just gets done at service time. Barely uses a drop too and it gets driven in anger most of the time :D

I wouldn't want to leave the oil in for any more than 15k max tbh.

A firm I worked for never looked after the vans and there was a time I'd be clocking over 1000miles a week, the oil was like treacle! One of the lads decided to change it when he had it, he couldn't believe how thick it had gone.

This was a ****ty transit van with 100bhp and built to take a beating. I imagine knackered oil in some of these higher powered diesels will cause big problems down the line?

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
One place I know of that won't be named, bought a new Van in feb 2009

It has never been serviced yet and has done 25k, mostly short trips.

Although the oil was topped up once when the light came on. :tut:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I can say that the Q5 we tested for a couple of days was just blown out of the water and the Evoque we were thinking of getting has serious competition in a well specced X3 purely on it's competency (even if it aint the greatest looking car on the road, bit ugly and vulgar to be honest).

yes they market well, but they also have a really good product.
Fair enough, the X3 is a totally different product line to the 3 series and may well be a better built, better quality product (I haven't driven one, and have no plans to). I've heard comments that the 7 series and 5 series are also better built than the 3 series.

However the 3 series is the best selling saloon in the UK (I think it still is) and it ain't all that in terms of build and reliability, even though that is exactly the reputation on which it is sold.

That's what I don't like - the 3 series is one of those lovely little marketing lies. A bit like the Nissan Almera TV ad campaign, which banged on about the Almera being different from everything else, when in fact it was uttely banal and samey.

I think it's also quite telling that BMW have to spend a fortune reacquiring cars which have just come out of lease in order to prop up used values, thereby making lease deals cheaper for new/fleet buyer market. Perfectly legal but uttetly immoral and misleading in my opinion...

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fair enough, the X3 is a totally different product line to the 3 series and may well be a better built, better quality product (I haven't driven one, and have no plans to). I've heard comments that the 7 series and 5 series are also better built than the 3 series.

However the 3 series is the best selling saloon in the UK (I think it still is) and it ain't all that in terms of build and reliability, even though that is exactly the reputation on which it is sold.

That's what I don't like - the 3 series is one of those lovely little marketing lies. A bit like the Nissan Almera TV ad campaign, which banged on about the Almera being different from everything else, when in fact it was uttely banal and samey.

I think it's also quite telling that BMW have to spend a fortune reacquiring cars which have just come out of lease in order to prop up used values, thereby making lease deals cheaper for new/fleet buyer market. Perfectly legal but uttetly immoral and misleading in my opinion...
Depends on the spec, i have a e92 msport coupe and it certainly uses better quality materials than the es spec tourings we have at work.

But then when you buy 40 of them you aint paying full price anyway, and with well over 600 miles to a tank capability and tiny emmisions they make a compelling fleet purchase.

Once weve had them a year ill give you some stats, should be far more objective than the experience you have had.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Yep, that would be valuable info :thumbs:

To be fair I should also say that my mum has previously had a 1994 525TD which was basically fine if I remember rightly, though she was stung by main dealer service costs. She's now got a 320D which hasn't had issues (other than she's scraped the poor thing's panels twice) but she's only had it a few months so the jury is still out on that one.

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
As I suspected ,BMW have you and your colleagues as customers already rather than lending an X3 to a random prospect.Private buyers do not often get this treatment perhaps without this kind of contact.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts