Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it probably isn't many peoples cup of tea here, but whilst my 335 is being fixed from being rear ended I have been provided with a BMW 640d Gran coupe with the ZF 8 speed gearbox as a courtesy car.

It is am amazing bit of kit, faster than the 335i I think, and rides and handles very well. I am even getting 39mpg in mixed driving.

People rave about the 8 speed ZF box but it doesn't seem like a big difference from the DCT in mine.

When prices come down I will definitely consider buying myself one in the future, as it has loads of room for a family as well. :smoker:

·
Registered
15,222 Posts
I saw one of these the other day and have to admit that it's a bloody good looking car. Can full size humans with heads sit in the back?

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw one of these the other day and have to admit that it's a bloody good looking car. Can full size humans with heads sit in the back?
I am 6 foot plus and there is loads of room. It is a 4 door version too. The rear edge of the doors does slope down so you need to watch your head getting in, but once in things are fine.

That’s one hell of a courtesy car!!

I got a Vauxhall Mokka X when my Giulietta was having its arse end repaired!!

This is through direct line. As the bump wasn't my fault they give you a courtesy car similar in class to the one you are having fixed.

When the Giulietta got bumped I got a Vauxhall Astra (Through LV), when the focus got a bumped I got a new Focus Ecoboost.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I nearly purchased one of these last year. Bmw dumped a handful of pre reg 75k cars on the markets for less than the price of a Guilia Veloce. They had head up, vdc soft close doors etc. I was greedy and tried to negotiate too hard at 36k and lost it. I purchased a pre reg X5 with 20k off instead but often think I was a little stupid over 1k.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I nearly purchased one of these last year. Bmw dumped a handful of pre reg 75k cars on the markets for less than the price of a Guilia Veloce. They had head up, vdc soft close doors etc. I was greedy and tried to negotiate too hard at 36k and lost it. I purchased a pre reg X5 with 20k off instead but often think I was a little stupid over 1k.
The first couple of years depreciation is pretty savage. I would guess that this one is worth about £28k (at 2 years and 20,000 miles)

Compared to what you could normally buy for £28k new I think it is a great deal. The m57 engine is generally very reliable as well. Plus fuel economy for the performance is outstanding, so running costs are likely to be manageable. I would think it eats rear tyres though.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my 335i arrived back today so the 640d will shortly be going back.

I will miss it, and am putting a 3.0 twin turbo diesel BMW on my future want list.

Anyone who judges diesel engines based on a 2.0 4 cylinder are making a big mistake, there is no comparison.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
I was very impressed with the first generation 6 Gran Coupe looks-wise. A very good looking car. Locally though, the market seemed to favour the slightly goofy looking 5GT over the 6 GC. I know they do different jobs, but I'm not sure the 6 GC got the admiration it deserved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts