G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Do you have any bags to check-in sir?"

"No."

"That'll be £6 sir."

"Excuse Me?"

"When you bought the ticket you didn't tick the 'airport
check-in' box, so there is now an additional £6 for you to check in.
You should have checked in online."

"But I didn't have access to a computer."

"It was all on the website when you booked the ticket, sir."
[Retrieves heavy Terms and Conditions binder and points to webpage extract]

"Whatever."
[Throws credit card at bloke]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Robbing B'stards.

·
Vendor
47,144 Posts
Its how they make their money I suppose. :(

If you don't like it, fly BA (or in your case Air France)..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't mind if they did it the other way:

"Tick this box to save £6 with online check-in"

But it is hidden away in a pull down menu. :rolleyes:

Sneaky.

I probably won't use them again. The ticket was on £60 so that's
a 10% surcharge.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Cheapskate. :p

(same with all these budget airlines..)

·
Vendor
47,144 Posts
I wouldn't mind if they did it the other way:

"Tick this box to save £6 with online check-in"

But it is hidden away in a pull down menu. :rolleyes:

Sneaky.

I probably won't use them again. The ticket was on £60 so that's
a 10% surcharge.
If they did it the other way, then maybe only half as many people would fall for it, so the ticket price would have to rise £63 to begin with.

How much would it have cost to fly with Air France anyway? I can't imagine it's anyhere near Baby BMIs price, even with the 10% surcharge. I used them in 2005 to fly from Teesside airport to Geneva and back and they were less than half the price of any of their competitors. I think it came to about seventy quid or so.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
The annoying thing with these online bookings is that the costs all come in the subsequent screens after you've committed to buy the ticket.

I bought 2 flights for my daughter and her friend to go to Ibiza this summer. I checked first on BA and the price was 120 quid each return.

Monarch came out at 60 quid each return (albeit with dreadful flight times compared to BA). I checked before buying and that 60 quid included all taxes etc.

Once I confirmed the purchase it then started on the "10 quid surcharge for online checkin", "6 quid per checked in bag per flight", "8 quid to pre-reserve a seat per flight", "6 quid for an in flight meal"....

I wouldn't mind, but some of these weren't optional extras (unless you count the fact that you could choose not to take a suitcase on a 2 week holiday as optional....).

It was still a bit cheaper than BA (I think in total it ended up being around 86 quid instead of 120) BUT the difference was only marginally worthwhile given that she had to be at Gatwick at 1am to go out, and came back at around 3.20am when with BA it was early evening both ways....

Unless the budget airline is genuinely 50 quid cheaper than the equivalent BA flight nowadays I always go for BA.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Years ago, we flew to Girona (Barcelona) with Ryan Air. When I booked, they stated that golf clubs went free. We got to Stanstead, and sure enough, the Ryan Air guy never contested it, and we put them on the plane. When we came back, we checked in at the Girona Ryan Air desk, and they wanted 70 Euros to take the golf clubs. I showed them the booking form, but they wouldn't listen. Eventually, they threatened to call security and keep my passport. We were then in danger of missing the flight. I had to pay up. I wrote to Ryan Air and Watchdog, but didn't get a reply from either.
Lying Cheating barstewards!! :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AirFrance no longer fly to the UK direct from Nice.
(Only to London city on a code share with Cityflier/BA)

The market has been destroyed by not-so-budget.

UK over weekend in October:

€178.45 for Air France/BA/Cityflier (London City)
€245.99 for BA LHR
€169.66 (+ €6 Check-in fee) for Birmingham.

Not that "budget" really.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts

€245.99 for BA LHR

HHmmmmm....

Nice to London for a weekend?

I'd take the Brera!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

€245.99 for BA LHR

What about letting the train take the strain, Nev? Eurostar do some great deals, and I know the TGV is pretty good value too.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ive flown ryan air and have nothing but praise for them, apart from the very very anoying looped jingle they play until takeoff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about letting the train take the strain, Nev? Eurostar do some great deals, and I know the TGV is pretty good value too.

I flew to Nice from Birmingham at the same time
someone else left via rail for Brighton.

I'd landed and driven home from the airport
before they'd gotten to Clapham.

And there isn't a TGV line to Nice, yet.
Give it another 15 years and I'm sure it'll all
be nuclear electric powered next gen TGV. :D

Airport access is really too easy here to make
the train the easier option.

;)

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Wherever possible I fly BA, no nasty surprises and generally very reasonably priced. My wife recently booked a Monarch flight which are I guess a bit half way house and then the if you want a bag £10 charge started to come up and stuff like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I avoid easyjet since a trip to Prague. Nothing to do with charges but the pilot pretty much dropped the plane out of the sky onto stansted to the point even the stewardess had a look on her face that said "F*** me what is he playing at!!!"

And to top it off we got off via stairs onto the runway, at which point a guy in a hi-vis jacket looked at me and laughed saying "yeah it's not supposed to make that noise" after I had realised the rattling noise was coming from the engine!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive flown ryan air and have nothing but praise for them, apart from the very very anoying looped jingle they play until takeoff.
I had a pretty crappy time with Ryanair when I flew to Dublin last year, right from check in, through the rugby scrum for seats, surly hostesses trying to take me cuppa off of me 2 minutes after I'd bought it. 'you'll have to drink it now sir we'll be landing soon' (it was still about 3 billion degrees, I don't know how the cup hadn't melted:lol: )
and then the worst landing I've ever experienced. It was all going smoothly, but the the nose raised and the pilot powered up again, and we started to climb, so I turned to the missus and put on my best smartarse impression, and informed her that we'd been waved off and we'd go around again.

But our pilot apparently wasn't being waved off, he instead attempted to plant our plane into the Tarmac at Dublin. We touched down hard enough that (and I've never experienced this before or since) several passengers and at least one member of crew that I saw actually let out gasps as we thumped into the runway :lol:

I'm laughing now thinking about it, but it was a pretty shocking experience.

Next time I visit Ireland I'll be taking the ferry :thumbs:

·
Registered
2019 Milano; Mazda MX5
707 Posts
And there isn't a TGV line to Nice, yet.
Maybe not a purpose built TGV line Nev, but I've seen TGV trains at Nice Station. About 6/7 hours to Paris as I recall.

We were bumped off a BMid flight from Nice once and were put on Air France via Charles de Gaulle airport, upgraded to salmon and champagne class on the Paris-London leg and got a cash refund at LHR. They can do that to me again anytime.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've spent the last 22 weeks commuting from London to Geneva with Sunday night/Friday night flights. 34 flights with BA averaging under £100 return, 8 flights with Swiss into London City averaging £105 return and 2 flights with Easyjet averaging £136 SINGLE. No bags, no extras but the BA/Easyjet flights depart within 20mins of each other in both directions and it's amazing to watch the Easyjet crowd fighting to be first on.

Lo-cost have their uses but I will ALWAYS check out the scheduled airlines first and rearrange times of meetings if necessary.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts