Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these and what do you think of them?

I am considering getting one fitted and just want some views from people who have one. Any difference performance wise or sound wise?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
With Nelly, GSR intake pipe and use his (pete the german fellow) air filter.

His pipe is not cheap as its made by hand in the UK from silicone - which is quite a process, but its straight, ultra smooth and has no turbulance so the turbo will spool up loads quicker and will boost a little harder to higher revs.

No bones over the air filter being a cheap import, but he has tested them (on rolling road) and proved that they flow much better than BMC, K&N, ramair etc...etc.

So it may be little more (£££'s) to get a well sorted intake pipe and better flowing filter than the BCA thingy and actually get a decent increase in performance rather than just a whole load of noise.

·
Vendor
46,129 Posts
BMC CDA is a good improvement over standard.

D

·
0 Posts
has no turbulance so the turbo will spool up loads quicker and will boost a little harder to higher revs.
In the spirit of the Alfa forum and the nit-picking that goes on here, I'd be very surprised if you're getting laminar flow through that pipe, i.e. a Reynold's number less than 2400, especially after the air has just been sucked through a filter.

But I know what you mean, it's a lot smoother than a typical intake pipe and offers less resistance to ease the air flow into the turbo better. Looks like a nice piece of kit even thought the website doesn't make it look like a very professional outfit

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
GSR is excellent but expensive.

CDA is okay, but resonably espensive.

I know Peter from GSR personally and he is also known Mr Induction!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi

Do anyone knows if the gsr makes a kit for the 3.0 v6 24v?

I also thinking of mounting a CDA box in my gtv but came across this one. Can´t find anything for the gtv on the website.

Thord

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi

Do anyone knows if the gsr makes a kit for the 3.0 v6 24v?

I also thinking of mounting a CDA box in my gtv but came across this one. Can´t find anything for the gtv on the website.

Thord
Drop Pete an e-mail, if they don't do one at the mo, if will make one specially for you, and if your car is the first and your willing to help him a little (to find out route, bends etc) then you may well get it much less than its worth.

He insisted on travelling up and personally fitting mine to make sure all was Ok, took pics too, first car discount on the pipe also.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
BMC CDA is a good improvement over standard.
I agree, I can only speak for a 2.4jtd here, but the standard intake is awfull, far too many bends, corrigated pipes, restrictions etc.

I know corrigated pipes and bends are great for getting the noise levels down, but for anyone screaming power, the standard intake has to go.
It does produce more noise on the JTD mind.

·
Vendor
46,129 Posts
BMC on my JTD seemed to amplify the whine/whistle of the turbo.. I thought it improved the sound no end, same as on the V6.

End of the day though, fitting a CDA is only replacing the filterbox, filtering element and the cold air feed to it. There's still a whole load of standard, restrictive intake between it and the throttle body on the V6, even more so on the JTD. The GSR intake replaces EVERYTHING from the throttle body back (on the V6). He wanted £300 for his intake when I enquired about a V6 I was going to buy near Watford before I bought the current one I have now, I was going to buy the car, get the GSR intake and get it remapped all in the one day and take it home, but the guy ended up selling it to someone else a few days before..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all - have it booked in to get one fitted at the same time as a cam belt change / service. Car has 56000 on the clock and I am not sure if the belt was ever changed. A few service stamps but don't have any note of the change so decided to play it safe.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Do these induction kits only benefit turbo engines or would they be good for my 2.2 JTS as well? Do they have any impacts on warranty or insurance?

·
Vendor
46,129 Posts
Do these induction kits only benefit turbo engines or would they be good for my 2.2 JTS as well? Do they have any impacts on warranty or insurance?
Would probably give you a little bit of top end, 3-4bhp maybe, and as much as 8lbft at certain points in the rev range.

Shouldn't impact warranty, insurance need to know though. I would check with Alfa though, or switch it back before you go in for any waranty work/dealer servicing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also does anybody know if its worth getting an induction kit for my bog standard 1.6 156? getting a service soon and i know my airbox is damaged so i thought this would sort it out.:confused:

G

·
0 Posts
Had a BMC CDA in my 147 and really liked it....I think it's better than the Autodelta one I have in my GT now but unfortunately my mechanic couldn't fit the BMC one in my JTS so had to go for Autodelta

G

·
0 Posts
Mango's told me that the Autodelta re-map and induction etc wouldn't affect my warranty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts