Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got myself a BMC CDA and I just wondered how people have fitted them? I was thinking of fitting horizontally rather than vertically as then the filter box is in line with the turbo, a short hose, MAF, short hose then Turbo?!

I don't even know if it would fit horizontally or whether having the AFM that close to the turbo would cause any sort of turbulance?! I was just thinking it'll make the air intake shorter and improve the induction route.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
In order to fit it properly horizontally you will need to get rid of the SMIC and fit a FMIC....otherwise it will be a very narrow fit.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I tried to install one yesterday (on the JTS). Found it impossible to fit. If keeping the original intake from MAF to throttle body, using the silicon adaptor, there just isnt enough room to fit it vertically (35mm drop). Any extra ducting to take the air supply away from facing down onto the road would mean the pipe would be touching the road!!

Going to need to either get some silicon hosing made up to change the elbow and shorten everything and simply sell the CDA on.

Not sure if ppl will follow that....

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I also have the BMC CDA 85-150 and was looking how to fit it on my 147 1.9 JTD. Vertically is not an option because of lack of ground clearance.

As I can see it now, the only option is to place the CDA with a 45 degrees bend downwards at the MAF. And possibly the standard turbo hose is too long and must be replaced with a shorter one, bringing the MAF more towards the center.

Does anybody know the size of the MAF connection diameter?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I also have the BMC CDA 85-150 and was looking how to fit it on my 147 1.9 JTD. Vertically is not an option because of lack of ground clearance.

As I can see it now, the only option is to place the CDA with a 45 degrees bend downwards at the MAF. And possibly the standard turbo hose is too long and must be replaced with a shorter one, bringing the MAF more towards the center.

Does anybody know the size of the MAF connection diameter?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took mine off yesterday and it appeared to be around 86mm. That's not to say yours will be the same though as it's a different engine.

Anyone got any photo's of how their BMC CDA is fitted to their JTD?!

Cheers,

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I took mine off yesterday and it appeared to be around 86mm. That's not to say yours will be the same though as it's a different engine.

Anyone got any photo's of how their BMC CDA is fitted to their JTD?!

Cheers,

Mark
I think on a 1.9 it is around 60mm. I guess I have to take it out of the car to know exactly.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Why wouldnt they?

Well I got dimensions for the intake tubing on my engine, sure it gave the diameters for MAPs and MAFs too.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I've never seen any measurements on eper. I've seen occasional weights, but no dimensions unless a newer version contains that sort of information possibly?!

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Which CDA would you buy for JTD 16V?

70-130 or 85-150

BMC suggests 130, but it looks so small :> Would be there any benefits using 150?

Also I notices BMC DIA, which looks almost identical to CDA only it is made from plastic instead of carbon, and a lot cheaper... what do you think?

The operation philosophy of BMC top range product, the Carbon Dynamic Airbox (CDA), is utilised in the DIA using less exotic material and therefore being more economical. This has enabled the production of a system that still gives more performance than a normal shielded cone filter but is available at a very interesting price.
The DIA consists of a plastic airbox containing an air flow deflector and a reusable filter element. Also supplied in the universal kit there is a flexible tube to carry cool air to the Airbox inlet, a connecting tube for easier installation and two reducers that allow the in most common applications (70mm, 65mm, 60mm).
The DIA is recommended for engines having a displacement up to 1.6000 cc .

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Which CDA would you buy for JTD 16V?

70-130 or 85-150

BMC suggests 130, but it looks so small :> Would be there any benefits using 150?

Also I notices BMC DIA, which looks almost identical to CDA only it is made from plastic instead of carbon, and a lot cheaper... what do you think?
BMC suggests the 70-130 propably because of the available length in a JTD.

Personally I prefer the CDASP-08 model for a JTD because it has the large outer diameter (150mm) but with a 40mm shorter length. That gives you some more ground clearance and still provides more volume and flow than the 70-130 model.

So that's the one I have ordered now for my JTD. :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think the lenght is not a problem for me... because I want to install CDA where the intercooler is now, and replace the intercooler with FMIC. So 85-150 will be better in terms of performance?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I think the lenght is not a problem for me... because I want to install CDA where the intercooler is now, and replace the intercooler with FMIC. So 85-150 will be better in terms of performance?
I also have a 147 JTD with a FMIC, but still the 85-150 will be quite close to the surface when you have it in the SMIC space. But some members have it this way (kgb and dusan) without problems I guess.

But because I want a nice intake trumpet on the box, a little less length is welcome.

For the performance, the less resistance is the better. Since the 85-150 is bigger than the 70-130, it will flow more.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I mounted BMC-CDA 80-150 without problems in combination with SMIC (factory original). Later I mounted FMIC. If I remove undertray I will make some pictures of my BMC-CDA configuration... Until then - don't worry - BMC-CDA 80-150 fit in 147 1.9 JTD 8v without problems in case of FMIC or SMIC. It is clear that old original air box must go out...

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Thats exactly the pic I mean. Using the diameters of the jubilee clips you get the diameters of the MAP and MAF.

Those diameters are correct apart from number 8-according to the diamgram number 8 is 75.5 mm jubilee clip, but it ISNT its about 50mm (a full 33% less!) and so is the ducting it fits round. Which totally ***** me up-I checked before I ordered the parts to make my own induction kit and cos it said it was 75.5 I didnt order a reducer. So it ll be at least 3 days before one comes and I cant work for 3 days now cos car immobile. Cheers Alfa.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts