Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I fitted a BMC CDA to my 156. Not because I'm a boy racer :lol: but because she'd been stuttering at low revs when pulling away and I'd noticed that cleaning the throttle body had improved things so I wondered whether she was suffering from poor mixture/air throughput etc. I'm no mechanic but I like to spend time tinkering with my bella. :) The outcome after fitting the CDA is a marked improvement. I'm not saying it's fixed the problem completely but there is a significant improvement. :)

What's more, I've also noticed that my fuel consumption has improved slightly - instead of 430 miles to a tank the last two trips to Doncaster and back (a regular trip every week) I got 460 and 475 respectively. And there's more - she seems to be using slightly less oil. Over 1000 miles, I used to have to top the engine oil up from around the half way mark on the dip stick, whereas this time it was roughly 3/4 way up the dip stick after 1000 miles. Early days I know, and I accept that my 'measurements' are not an exact science but could there be a technical reason for the fuel economy and less oil usage?

Up shot is, I quite like the occasional grunt the CDA gives, driven normally round town you'd never notice it is there, but give her some welly and there's a definite low end growl. Cant say the performance is greatly improved though - but that's fine - that's not what I was after. :D

Fitting the CDA was pretty much a doddle. Secret is to remove the battery and tray for easy access from above. One question though - I've seen several pictures of the JTS with a CDA fitted where the MAF is moved from the air box end of the induction tube, and re-located next to the throttle body intake. I've tried it in both locations and I can find no difference in performance, other than when it's located next to the throttle body the revs rise to 1500 for 10-15 seconds and then drop down to the normal 1000, whereas when located on the CDA end it starts up and sits at 1000. This is only from cold though, From hot she sits at 1000 when started regardless of where the MAF is located. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've kept the original induction parts just in case though. I never know - if I ever sell her the new owner may not be to chuffed with the CDA :rolleyes:

:thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,133 Posts
Keep the CDA when you sell it, and sell it seperately on here.

I'm glad you're happy with it, I'm very happy with mine. I don't think it will account for the drop in oil consumption though..

·
0 Posts
I love the induction noise mine makes :) - my original airbox was sh*gged anyhoo & came across my CDA on ebay (un-used)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I fitted BMC CDA 2 days ago. I am really satisfied :)

I fitted it at same place where original airbox was fitted and i didn put aditional pipe to get air direct to filter because 1.6 ts engine has no engine guard plastic. i think car`s getting enough cold air.

is anyone driving without that aditional pipe? :confused:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
How are you getting that many miles to a tank :wow:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I fitted BMC CDA 2 days ago. I am really satisfied :)

I fitted it at same place where original airbox was fitted and i didn put aditional pipe to get air direct to filter because 1.6 ts engine has no engine guard plastic. i think car`s getting enough cold air.

Just don't drive through any big puddles will you. :eek:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How are you getting that many miles to a tank :wow:
Not sure - but I am.

Filled up last night (£62) and drove to manchester and back today (240) miles and the needle is half way between half and 3/4's now. That said the ligth comes on when the needles halfway between empty and 1/4 so I reckon I easily get to Doncaster and back tomorrow which is 180 mile round trip and I'll still have a little bit left :)

·
Vendor
46,133 Posts
Yes I am, its fine :)

Any Idea why the BMC web site says that BMC CDA are not intended for use on the publc highway? :confused:
I think thats because they don't have TUV approval, or something like that..

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Not sure - but I am.

Filled up last night (£62) and drove to manchester and back today (240) miles and the needle is half way between half and 3/4's now. That said the ligth comes on when the needles halfway between empty and 1/4 so I reckon I easily get to Doncaster and back tomorrow which is 180 mile round trip and I'll still have a little bit left :)
Fair play to you. You must go easy on her. :lol:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone any thoughts on the location of the MAF???

I'm still a little worried about whether I have it in the right place or not :eek:

·
Vendor
46,133 Posts
Anyone any thoughts on the location of the MAF???

I'm still a little worried about whether I have it in the right place or not :eek:
I've had mine in two places, just above the CDA, which is the 'natural' placement, and just after the flexi section prior to the throttle body. Its in the latter now, because it suits the pipework better, but I don't think it makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had mine in two places, just above the CDA, which is the 'natural' placement, and just after the flexi section prior to the throttle body. Its in the latter now, because it suits the pipework better, but I don't think it makes any difference.
Cheers Pud - that puts my mind at rest somewhat. It also makes mounting the CDA easy too IMO.

Must admit - sounds great. I came back over some Pass or other from Manchester to NE yesterday evening - luckly there were few lorries around so I got a chance to 'open her up' :thumbs: Great sound. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts