Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Apologies if the answer to this is something really simple, i'm not the best engine guru and this is the first turbo car iv had, all previous cars have been NA.

My car seems to blow out a little blue tinted smoke when i have the foot down and change in to 3rd or 4th. Its only at the gear change when this happens, not when driving through the revs after shifting.
I can put the foot down and it pulls, change to 3rd (a little smoke left behind), then through the revs, but when i change up to 4th and put the foot down there's then a huge cloud left behind me.

Could this be just some unburnt petrol or could it be a valve seal leak?
It doesn't smoke all way through the revs, just when i change gear.

My usual drive to work is only 2 miles each way, so it doesn't get chance to warm up properly and i don't drive it hard it when cold as its driving in traffic to an from work.

It is a 2010 Giulietta Cloverleaf with 57k miles, FSH etc so i would presume it was looked after. I have only had the car 2 and a half months.

Just to clarify, the speeding is done on national speed limit roads or motorways etc lol

Any help would be appreciated guys and thanks in advance

Take Care
Jason

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Could also be turbo seals. Worth getting checked as most of the engine seals, regardless of mileage, are 6 years old now.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Check the oil isnt overfilled. If it is it can blow past seals or through the crankcase breater system. It will then end up being burnt.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
It is going back to the garage where i got it from today (Burrows Toyota) so told them whats happening and they will check. I will run out in 10 minutes and check the oil level now you've mentioned that.
The garage told me they serviced it for me before buying so wonder if they have overfilled it.

Another concern...... Seriously hope they don't give me an Aygo for a courtesy car!! ha

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after checking the oil, it seems there's none hanging on the dipstick!
They were meant to have serviced it but yet the oil seems to be empty (unless they are just rubbish dipsticks what dont identify the levels easily?)

I thought an oil warning light would have come on though if the level was low?

If the oil was empty, could that still cause the original puff of smoke? I can imagine the turbo wouldn't like it

Either way, it goes in this afternoon for them to check etc so ill update when i have more info

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The dipsticks are terrible but I have the opposite problem. It always looks over filled! Sounds like they didn't change it. Is it light brown and fresh or black and used?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of the above ha, there isnt any oil on the markers at all. If a wiggle it around and then pull it out there may be a little 'trace' of oil up the side but thats oil, none of the 'flat marker' area (no idea what thats called haha)

So it definitely looks empty to me

·
Registered
497 Posts
Somethings not right, as Ali said 99% of us have the opposite issue, I'd be very careful driving it given the blue smoke and apparent lack of oil, perhaps get the dealers to authorise you to drive it before taking it back to them, if they say its OK and it blows up its their fault and they can't blame you for not telling them you'd checked the oil.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I would put some oil in it ASAP.

As MakeTeaNotWar says, something isn't right.

The low oil level is because of the blue smoke, not the other way around.

My bet would be knackered turbo. If the car has been abused, or not serviced properly turbos can be very easy to damage.

Even not letting the car idle for a few mins before switching off if you have just been driving can damage the turbo.

·
Registered
464 Posts
How long has it been burning oil for and has it been getting worse since first noticing?

If very low oil level the oil light should start to come on or stay on especially with a fully warmed up engine, due to the oils viscosity being thinner at normal engine temperature; therefore the pressure from the oil pump lower. Sometimes best seen a night after the engines warmed up while a tick-over and no instrument light on, helping to see what could be a faint red low oil pressure light. If this does come on a few more revs should extinguish the light!!! But damage will have been done, giving cause of the blue smoke.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
******* UPDATE *******

Hi Guys,

The dealer have had it today and this is the outcome.

The oil WASN'T empty but had used 2 litres since they changed it (November 2015). No leaks anywhere or drips so obviously it has been burnt away. (They topped it back up today anyway)

They removed and checked piping etc for any pools of oil and there was none, which also backs up the fact is it being burnt through the exhaust. This points to them that the Turbo is on its way to death row! :paranoid:

In order for the warranty company to replace the turbo (luckily the scheme im on covers the turbo etc) i have to do a 500 mile 'dealer & back' check. So i will check the oil every couple of days and if it drops noticeably then i take it straight back and they replace the Turbo for a new one. If it doesn't drop much, then its 500 mile marker before it goes back.

(This is classed as some kind of check as the warranty will only foot the bill for a certain fault once, if it was misdiagnosed and something else has to be replaced when they have replaced the turbo then the dealer has to foot that bill, not the warranty company)

So.... 500 miles then take it back and they will put a new turbo on the car for me (sooner if the oil drops a lot before 500)

At least it still had some oil in it and not dry, that really was worrying me thinking it was about to seize!

Thanks again for the help guys, its appreciated!

Hopefully no one else encounters this problem

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
The warranty sounds like it is a pain in the Ass but at least you are on the right track.

100% knackered turbo, I hope it lasts the 500 miles and I hope for your sanity's sake that it DOES use a lot of oil in the next 500 miles.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just hope that the oil fairy doesn't pay you a visit, although this would decide the outcome sooner rather than later :wink:,

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, my intentions don't worry.
I'm thinking of running it for another 200 miles or so then dropping some oil, doesn't have to be loads, just a 'noticeable' amount.
The warranty is definitely footing the bill, i just hope it doesn't take them long to sort it (read some of the stories about people trying to get replacement turbos for the cloverleaf but it was an old post).

The courtesy car i had yesterday..... oh wow, any pride i had just went straight outta window... Toyota Aygo!!

65 plate, 1 litre, 3 cylinder, white with red roof and black wheels!

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Has the car always been standard or do you know if it has had a tuning box or remap at any point?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oooh couldn't tell you Symon, iv onyl had the car since November.

The car has only had 1 previous owner since new (2010), everything on the car seems standard and it has been kept in amazing condition apart from 1 curbed wheel

HOWEVER..... one of the mates was having a look at it the other day and asked about the exhaust (what type it is)...
At first i thought it was a standard one for the Cloverleaf as its big but not at all loud (don't even hear it in the car) just a tiny purr from the outside. It does look like its silenced on each end though.

Anyway, after browsing pics for the Cloverleaf.. it definitely doesn't seem standard.
I will try take a picture for you but its filthy at the minute, i am intending to Autosol it this weekend as at the min its that black it wouldn't even show on the pics! ha

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
The reason I ask is that extra boost from remaps of boxes can wear out the turbo faster.

Also when increasing boost you have to make sure the fueling is correct otherwise you can melt or damage pistons.

That will also cause a car to use oil...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wonder if its worth me seeing if i can get it on some rolling roads to check?
Doesn't feel like its been remapped or anything. You can hear the turbo breathing well (induction, sucky sucky noise) but iv read peoples comments before about how theirs also sounds nice anyway,

It doesn't feel like its benefited from any remap, it feels like it's around the standard power (if that makes sense)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts