Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm eagerly waiting for delivery of my new 159ti and looking forward to the delights of blue&me, but I wonder if anyone out there can answer me a question?
As b&m is microsoft based, will the usb port only accept one input device (flash drive, ipod etc) at a time or could I connect a usb hub/card reader so that I can connect more than one device? On a windows PC, each is assigned a different drive letter but is this expecting a bit too much of b&m?
Also, is there a maximum drive size that b&m can work with?
I haven't been able to get any sense out of my local dealer and the alfa website is less than useful when it comes to techie stuff. Hopefully someone out there in the real world will be able to advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
.......is this expecting a bit too much of b&m?
I would guess so! I don't think the system is robust enough for that sort of 'load'. The only way to find out though is to give it a try as I can't recall anyone using it like that so far.

Also, is there a maximum drive size that b&m can work with?
Some have had problems with large flash drives but I'm using an 80gb iPod with no trouble.

There doesn't seem to be a rule as to what will work and what won't.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can only attach one USB device at a time. Bit of a shame, but it would probably make the whole UI too complicated if multiple devices were connected.

There's no maximum drive size, in theory. The limiting factor is the power consumption of the drive, and in practice this limits you to 1.8" drives and some 2.5" drives. The maximum current that B&M can supply is probably 500mA, but I'm not sure of this figure.

I use a 60GB Lacie Little Disk, which is a 1.8" disk, and it works really well. The downside of 1.8" disks is that they're more expensive than larger ones - mine cost £70.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I'm using a 16GB SD card in a USB adapter, both bought cheap from Hong Kong on eBay. Cost me the equivalent of about 35 UK pounds including postage. It holds a lot if you encode MP3 at 192 kbps or thereabouts.

My 60GB iPod also works fine but the iPod folder system is rubbish so I prefer using a flash drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for their advice - I'm a lot clearer now on what to expect and I can get my music sorted ready for delivery.
Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a tip for anyone having trouble getting USB devices working with B&M. I just bought a 16GB flash drive. Even though B&M had been working ok with an 8GB drive for months I just couldn't get the 16GB drive to work. I even tried unplugging the 16GB drive and and plugging in a 1GB drive with a few songs on it as recommended recently by MelBonkers. Even disconnecting the battery didn't seem to work. Media Player could also NOT be selected by scrolling through sources using the SRC button. Finally when I went into the Settings menu and specifically selected Media Player it suddenly started working ! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts