Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many people, I was dissappointed with the outbound voice quality of my B&M phone system.

I have tried a few things and I 'think' it's better now. Being able to have a conversation at 70mph (or possibly more :cool:) on the motorway must be an improvement.

Trouble is, I only had my car a couple of days before I started experimenting so I can't remember how bad it was before :rolleyes:

Has anyone else managed to succesfully improve their outbound voice quality?

Do you all still use the phone system or have you given up on people not being able to hear you properly?

I'll be interested to hear your comments :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
The B&M in my Brera works really well. People can hear me on motorway cruises no problem. In fact some are shocked when I tell them I'm in the car. HOWEVER, my wife's voice through her Spider LE's B&M is very quiet. She is generally a quiet person, but I have a feeling that her Mic is in the wrong location. Does anyone know where the mic is?

Maybe the B&M in my wife's Spider and your SW are set up for left hand drive and therefore the mic is in the wrong place?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're correct the mic is on the left, but this isn't really the problem. I removed the mic from the unit and used it externally, but it made little difference.

The Brera setup must be different, from what I have read it's mainly 159 drivers that are not happy with outbound sound, but it will be interesting to hear from other Brera owners.

From what I could tell (and it's obviously not easy to test it), my microphone is omni-directional, whereas it should be uni-directional with a circa 60° spread. So, it collects a lot of background noise and possibly vibration through the housing, so in comparison the voice is quiet.

Does that make sense?;)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I have never had a complaint about the B&M voice quality...unlike the connect I had in the 156 which was an echoing disaster.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My transmitted sound is poor, especially when compared to the Parrot CK3100 in Clare's GT.

Couldn't we just fit a better mic in (if the B & M box could be found):confused:

N

·
0 Posts
I've had the mic package apart as I broke mine
and had to re-solder the wire back on.

You could probably improve it by removing the
fabric cover and re seating the mic so it points
out the open bottom of the plastic package instead
of it pointing at one of the blanked sides.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Looking at the electrical diagram the mic has a connector in the courtesy light, so it would not take much to make an adapter to take a standard hands free mic which could then be positioned properly. I have some Nokia and Parrot mics so I might give it a go.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been there and done a few of these things.

I started by trying the mic outside of the lamp unit, but it didn't make the difference I thought it would. Recording to my answer phone I thought I sounded slightly distorted like the mic was too sensitive.

I covered it in some accoustic foam and it appeared better. I then cut some rectangles of the foam and compressed it when the mic was pressed into the holder. From test drives and talking to myself onto my answerphone, I decided that the microphone wasn't directional and collected too much noise from inside the car. I also thought that while it is inside the lamp holder, it must be collecting a lot of noise and vibration from behind, after all it's just behind the roof skin.

So, I bought some sound deadening mat, like the Dynamat you can use for car audio. I attached 2 layers to the roof skin as far as i could reach and then all the way around and down to the back of the head lining creating a sound proof box. I also enclosed the back of the microphone to reduce noise and vibration.

After all of this, it was better, but not good enough at speed. I could have a conversation on the motorway but it could and should be better.

To reply to earlier comments, the microphone is on a short (approx 15cm long) lead that connects behind the courtesy lamp and is easy to disconnect. I have already tried two external microphones, one Nokia and one Sony Ericsson, both gave similar results. Unfortunatley they are not suitable.

After a drive home down the M40 on Monday with my other half driving behind, we were talking on the phone most of the way. With a bit of experimenting, I realised that with the increased speed and background noise it increased the effective distance of the microphone.

I have now mounted the microphone externally on the righthand side of the lamp housing, I will make a small cover for it with accoustic foam so it looks a bit better and then give it a trial. It's not ideal, but if it works better i'll be happier.

Will look forward to plenty of test drives, as I've just fitted a Steinbauer P-Box, and I've promised Ned at Auto Lusso I'll put a review on here!!:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Interesting; I know my Nokia mic did not work well with the Parrot system it was way too quiet, whereas the Parrot mic was fine. The Parrot mic also seemed very directional so I might give it a try.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The parrot mic in the 147 (that comes with the kit) is fine - I have it popped out of the interior light housing, but the 159 B&M is better

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I've had no problems with being heard or hearing on mine even at 'motorway speeds' ;)

The only comment/question I've had from someone I've been talking to is "What's that noise... it sounds like Rice Krispies!"... it was ****ing down at the time :p :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Only noise problem people have complained about from mine
is when the aircon is on full and blowing out the windscreen vents. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We've not had enough people respond yet, but it does seem that there are more Brera owners happy with their outgoing sound than 159 :rolleyes:

Or, are 159 drivers a little more discerning ;)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
.......it does seem that there are more Brera owners happy with their outgoing sound than 159 :rolleyes:
Well just to reinforce that I'll add my bit.

Never had any complaints about transmitted sound quality from my Brera, and judging by people's responses to me it is obvious they are hearing me loud and clear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hmm mine appears to be b0lloxed....no-one can hear i word i say, although there are some that might think this is a good thing...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
hmm mine appears to be b0lloxed....no-one can hear i word i say, although there are some that might think this is a good thing...
Judging by your other thread JStar I don't think your problem is just with the microphone though.

Sounds like your entire Blue&Me is goosed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Judging by your other thread JStar I don't think your problem is just with the microphone though.

Sounds like your entire Blue&Me is goosed!
I reckon you're right. From reading other threads, so much of what should be there isn't there, media menus etc - I'll have another play around with it tonight and if no joy then I'll just take it back to the dealer.
No bad thing, last time I took it back they gave me as a courtesy car a brand new Brera S with about 700 miles on it. Made for a fun weekend...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've just had a new mic fitted under warranty... seems to have solved any sound quality problems and Mrs Hawking (B & M) now understands me saying 'Yes' first time without me getting quite angry and swearing at her!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Just for information, both ingomin & outgoing voice clarity & volume levels are fine in my MY08 Brera.

I do find that sometimes the B&M lady cant understand me, but thats nothing new, i've been married 20 years and still have problems with my wife, although perhaps its just me :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts