Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this question posted yet (although that probably means I've just not seen it) but does anyone know if there are any Blue&Me compatible headunits available from people like Alpine or Kenwood etc?

TIA

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have spent ages trying to find what I think you are asking.
There are no aftermarket headunits that will 'marry up' to the B&ME system like the OEM one does.

The original headunit and B&ME are separate units but live in the double DIN space of the radio (B&ME unit is single DIN and is hiding behind lower half of the radio which is a single DIN unit with a double DIN front). I have no idea if the same is true of '159 series' cars with Alfa SatNav. The B&ME can be left in place or moved for aftermarket radio fitting , removing it causes errors with the CANBus system of the car and will make the odometer flash all the time.

Only B&ME functions will use the in-car dash display or microphone.
If you are going to buy an 'all in one' media centre and satnav unit (such as the popular Pioneer AVICs) then you will supercede all B&ME functions (and it will sit unloved and unused).
If you are going to buy a replacement audio headunit , then you can keep the B&ME functions such as handsfree phone which will continue to use the in-car dash display and microphone.

N

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure how the media audio is played through the original HU
but the telephone audio is via the TEL+ TEL- pins in one of the DIN
plus and the TEL MUTE pin which is used to signal the HU to switch to
this input (With the annoying "HELLO!" message displayed on mine. :)mad:)

So any Single DIN replacement HU with TEL+/-/MUTE pins should be compatible.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. I replaced the standard head unit in my last 159 with a double din Alpine Media Centre and it looked and sounded great but I wasn't keen on the after market Parrot hamds free I had fitted so I was wondering if I could fit an after market head unit (Double din, probably one of the new Alpine units) move the B&M up behind the glove box as many people here mention but still use the B&M hands free, assuming it works better through an after market unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello,
I am also concidering in changing the original radio to an aftermarket one, but am a bit concerned of the beutifull original interior looking of the car being destroyed . Could you please send me some pictures of your double din installed in it?
Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts