Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to update b&m in my 2013 G, I got as far as downloading the config file from the website and uploading my .xml file to get the V10 update, but when I tried installing this it failed with USB error 10 and my Nav is now speaking to me in Italian?

Any idea what I did wrong?

I'm using a 16GB USB stick formatted to FAT32 on my mac if this make any difference.

Update: I've just checked the b&m menu and I have access to the Application, Image and Device Id's so I'm assuming it is a 2nd gen b&m unit?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi.
I've done this a few times and the process is a bit tricky.
After the initial update with the new software, if you don't do anything else, it'll be talking Italian to you.
You need to coax it into the next stage (different message: I think it says Installing instead of Updating). I've never found exactly what triggers this but you may need to turn the ignition off and on a couple of times but leave the memory stick in as it need to copy more files.
Good luck!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's such a fiddly process!

Are you able to provide step by step instructions?

Cheers mate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Noticed when i did mine for the first time, after the message comes up saying updating or whatever. Theres nothing on the screen for a while. i thought it was done. instead you have to leave it a while and it will come up saying complete.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's such a fiddly process!

Are you able to provide step by step instructions?

Cheers mate
I'd love to provide step by step instructions if only I knew what I'd done!
The 1st bit always works fine: memory stick in, B&M creates a file on it, upload file to website then download and unzip the new version to the stick, stick back in car and switch on.
It then says "Updating" (from what I remember). When complete, there's no message, sometimes the mileage was flashing, B&M unresponsive. At this point I think you have to switch the ignition off, wait a few seconds and switch back on. Leave the memory stick in. You may need to press the "Windows" button on the wheel. You need to get the message that says "Installing". You should get an audible message in English saying "Complete" and you're done.
Exactly what triggers this last stage is anyone's guess!
Error 10 is probably caused by removing the memory stick too soon.
Have fun.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is that I did leave it alone for a good few mins and it went like this:-

1. Inserted USB
2. Car said she was updating
3. MFD said UPDATE IN PROGRESS
4. Waited 5 mins no change
5. UPDATE IN PROGRESS disappears from MFD
6. Few mins later car speaks to me in Italian and USB UPDATE ERROR 10 is shown on MFD

I had literally zero intervention in between inserting the USB and the error message being shown on the MFD.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long should I leave it after the error message is thrown? Is after this point I need to turn the car ignition on and off?

·
Registered
38 Posts
if the error message comes up then the update has failed. theres something else not right. if the update is working the screen goes back to normal for a while then will say compete.
perhaps try a different brand memory stick or even formatting on a pc other than mac that could be a cause. have you had a good read through that thread i linked previously.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I read it thoroughly. It mostly pertains to G's fitted with tomtom but I get the gist.

I will try a smaller USB stick formatted using Windows and see how I get on :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Tried formatting the USB on Windows as fat32 - same problem :(

It can't be the USB either since I used the same one to install the English language pack after the failed updates resulted in the Italian speaking.

I got no more clues - could it be that my blue&me unit isn't compatible for the v10 update despite the website telling me opposite?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you're passing through Leeds, I'd be happy to have a look at for you.
Aw thanks mate I used to spend most of my week in Leeds on work but now I'm stationed in Nottingham :(

Was it as difficult to update for yourself?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Aw thanks mate I used to spend most of my week in Leeds on work but now I'm stationed in Nottingham :(

Was it as difficult to update for yourself?
If you have a look at my previous posts in this thread, I don't really know exactly what I did to get it to complete successfully but I have done it 3 or 4 times (more by luck than judgement).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
497 Posts
You sir are a legend!

What's your diary like this weekend coming?
See PM but we have a christening on one of those days, probably sunday I've no idea the Mrs has organised it, will PM you details once I've been filled in!!

NB im no expert on the process, it may end up speaking italian for a little while but i'm sure it'll end up updated and back speaking english :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts