Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God I hate B & M!

The phone part is good enough, but the media player is driving me bonkers.

It loops the same song over and over. Ive tried saying LOOP OFF a million times, in every different pitch of voice/shouting and it makes no difference.

It doesnt play .aac/drm - I hate this so much :(

I bought a Western Digital HDD to use. It didnt work (not enough bus power - oh well my fault I didnt check the approved drives in the manual)

Bought an approved LaCie Mobile mini 1.8" thingy - still doesnt bloody work - not enough bus power again :(

So I paid 30 USD online for a DRM bulk convertor to change all my file types over and then use the IPOD, as at least I know that powers up.
Of course now the B&M chucks a spaz fit when trying to build the library and doesnt get anywhere!

AAAAARGH I want to beat it to death with a crowbar. What a poorly implemented piece of hardware :cry: And the daft thing is for a little more work/money they could have made it great.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Isn't there something in the menu where you can turn loop off?

My 60GB iPod works OK, as does a 16GB SD card in a USB adapter (mostly). I find that I have to give it time to build the library before starting the engine the first time it is connected with a new file structure. Also sometimes it helps to connect another thumb drive to cause it to "forget" the old list.

Agree that it is not a great product but don't forget it is made by Microsoft.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I think its a fantastic product it works with almost everything and the AAC thing is just a licence issue.

Its so good that Ford have bought a licence to it and its now available in their vehicles (under a different name) and have resolved the Apple license, but other than that its the same.

Hey you buy a PC and its not compatable with evry gadget on teh market either!

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I think it is a good addition to a car and I love it as I listen to a lot of music. Just use a USB stick - I use a 16GB one and so far so good :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I have spent nearly 150quid on HDDs and software just to make my current media library work with it - and im still not successful.

Today I turned the media player off completely as it would get half way through a song and then spaz out and turn itself off.

The DRM issue should not be there - Ford have got the license, so should Alfa.

The updates on the Alfa site are non-existent. I managed to get the message reader from the Fiat site and it wont upload.

If you want to do anything more complicated than plug in a simple USB stick then the system starts to show its weaknesses. Its 2008, technology is better than this..... its simple lazyness/cost cutting on Alfas part that has flawed the system.

I hate to say it, but if you want to see how it should be done have a look at the media systems on Mercedes. :(

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The Mercedes system costs a heap more and wasnt available in 2005 when B&M was launched.

BTW the mate has it in his SL and neither of us can get the phones to work, the dealer says, yeah quite a lot of them do that...

N

·
0 Posts
One of the guys here has the Merc BT system in his EClass.

He hates it mainly because it sucks ****.

Major pain to even get the phonebook over.
(You have to dial the phone number *#BlahBlah or something from the
unit. :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not so bothered about the phone part - infact thats working OK for me with my Iphone.

Its the music thats important. My friend has on 06 SLK and the Ipod integration is fantastic.

N

·
0 Posts
Well the media player doesn't even exist on mine, so
just count yourself lucky! :p

Seriously though, the iPod/MP3/ACC situation is
a real pain the the arse. Why can't I plug my iTouchy
into anything with a USB port and read/write stuff?

Ridiculous! :rant:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My only real dislike is the poor voice transmission. Other than that, it's a good system that works well. I don't have one of those Apple things though.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just to get something into a workable situation I converted shed loads of DRM into MP3s and put them onto a 16GB USB stick.

Put this in the car and..... voila..... nothing! NO MEDIA FOUND.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So I disconnected the battery for a while, which did the trick. For about 2 hrs.

grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sitting in traffic the whole unit spazzed out - started cycling through the songs at an alarming rate (but no playing anything) and then locked up completely.

Ignition off/on unforze the system, but killed the steering wheel buttons, so no access to any of the B&M.

Another battery disconnect solved that one.

Are they all this ****? Its really absolutely terrible. The OH just laughs at it, as she knows I am a gadget freak and she can see the pain in my eyes when it keeps embarrassing me like this.:lol:

Seriously though, does it sound like I have a duff unit?

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
in a nutshell yes!

MP3 on a USB stick should work no problems.

Back to the dealer me thinks or just to be on the safe side do you have any non-converted MP3 tracks to try first, ie just CD to straight MP3 or downloaded as an MP3 file.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK thanks guys, looks like it can pay a visit to the dealer then :(

To answer another question, the USB stick is a mix between DRM AAC and MP3 from CD - about 50/50.

Ive got a quote for 1000quid to have the Pioneer F900BT fitted, its tempting but ive got better things to spend the money on at the moment.

Plus the Abarth, when it arrives is also B&M, so I may as well stick with it in the Alfa.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
keep us up to date :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
we solved the problem on my sons grande punto with an adapter from these guys [email protected] the contacts name is Nicola, tell him what unit you have and he should have the adapter, (looks identical to Fiat one but works, apparently all down to software in the box! ) Ours works with iphone 3g.. On the 147 and GTV we have opted for the Alpine iDA-X100 Steering wheel adapter works superbly ! Good luck with sorting this. When you get it working it is fantastic.
.:wow: :cool:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts