Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Blue and Me and Iphone

Tags
blue iphone
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kid1988 
#1 ·
I’m looking at the adapters on EBay and there seems to be a plethora of prices and options. Some say that they don’t handle iPhone 6.

I’ve got a 2009 TI with the standard blue and me. How do I know what I need?

#3 · (Edited)
Well please let us know which one works and fits in the 159!

I’m looking at the adapters on EBay and there seems to be a plethora of prices and options. Some say that they don’t handle iPhone 6.

I’ve got a 2009 TI with the standard blue and me. How do I know what I need?
There is a blue&me USB Ipod adapter available that *should* support media playback over USB, but the reports are mixed reports on the functionality on newer Iphones. They have grown quite exclusive and expensive, and judging from the audio playback quality on Blue&Me playing MP3s off a thumbdrive I wouldn't bother (it's poor).

There are a lot of head units available, also Chinese ones, but on all of those there are mixed reports on getting the steering wheel controls working and none of them have a standard option of using the OEM microphone, meaning you would have to take off interior trims to rewire a mic.

In any case you will have a bunch of non-functional Blue&Me hardware left over in the dash after fitting a new HU, since disconnecting the Blue&Me results in the flashing odometer issue.

So depending on what you would like to achieve, there are many different options.
I am using a bluetooth FM transmitter to play music from my phone. No media controls, but all the original functionality is still present.

Too bad the latest Nav maps for the stock navi are from 2015.

#7 · (Edited)
Well yes, but sometimes no.

It really depends on the head unit. Some connect to a CD changer port (yellow) if the HU has one (my radionav doesn't) And the blue connector connects to the aux input, which is used by the Blue&me unit on my head unit.
It seems the more advanced the factory head unit is, the less options of upgrading there are.

I have no additional AUX inputs available, so that would mean sacrificing USB playback with steering wheel controls and Hands Free Blue&Me functionality for A2DP audio with no handsfree option. It would basically have the same functionality as my Roidmi Bluetooth to FM transmitter, but sacrificing the standard features.

True, a new head unit is the easiest way to upgrade media playback, but it will cost 400,- + if you want to get everything working again (steering wheel controls, mic rewire). Of course there might be some additional benefits, such as carplay/android auto and DAB+. If it's just media playback you're looking for it might be a hefty price.
Also it will become a bit more difficult to set the clock without a OEM headunit.

Cheapest non-tech way is a Bluetooth FM adapter. (15,-)
Expensive non-tech way is getting everything done a a good shop (500,- +)
Cheapest tech way is seeing if you can rewire a chinese A2DP unit in there somewhere (30,-)
Expensive tech way is replacing the entire system with something new yourself. (400,-)

What headunit do you have? And what do you want to achieve?

#6 ·
having originally had the B&M adapter in a previous 159 and struggled with the terrible h/f quality (go look where the mic s located - and the quality [emoji23]) i decides that this time is bite the bullet and just buy a car play head unit

night and day! i’ve got the pioneer dab 230 unit, which you can get for
about £250 on fleabay. You need the connect2 loom kit (includes the fascia panel, etc) and you need to re-site the B&M “brain” (i slotted this under the void in the passenger footwell, just under centre console) but for a total cost of ~£330 you get a way better head unit, no risk of prosecution (using carplay as intended) and a nice modern look for your bella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.