Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help please? Started today, a hissing/blowing noise from behind dash when accelerating. Car is '55 plate 156 sport turbo diesel with 50k on the clock. Oh the joys of Alfa ownership! :lol:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Blowing or sucking? I'd say it's the vacuum line off the brake master cylinder, or the bellows split inside it, have the brakes got stiffer to operate?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's the intercooler pipe thats got a split in it . Costs about £40 for the pipe and takes about 30 mins to replace . Mine went about a month ago . It's the pipe that goes across the battery .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for these, not sure about noise, could be sucking I suppose, only had a quick listen when I got in from work last night and the missus said about it. Brake maybe did feel a bit different but again had just jumped out works van. I'll try again later. Are the brakes dangerous if that is the problem 'cause she's gone off to work in it. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a look at the intercooler hose and that seems ok, can't see anything wrong with brake cylinder connections either and brakes working ok, so still a bit stuck. If anything there seems to be a lack of power. Any more ideas please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I've not noticed but haven't been looking, I'll try tomorrow and let you know, thanks. Is the turbo knackered:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Turbo defo NOT knackered.
As said by others it's the turbo hose. Most probably the one after the turbo outlet.
Made me laugh when mine went as the local dealer had one one the shelf so it shows how often they go!

Why they don't use a rigid pipe system I'll never know. Even had a Corsa diesel once that had rigid metal pipes. Can't wear those through.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all, just been round the block and it does throw out black soot when accelerating. So from above post I'm assuming it's the pipe you mention. Where exactly is it? can I do it myself? and is it doing any damage if still used? (obviously want it fixed asap but no dealer close anymore) Many thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fairly easy fix just get the old one off, check for the offending split, get new one and refit. A ramp would be handy and you'll prob need the undertray off too.
Should not cause damage if you drive it but just makes you look a plonker with all that smoke!!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Yeah, with a cloud of smoke it sounds like the intercooler to throttlebody hose has split, and it can damage the turbo with the lower restistance to spin up it allows it to overspeed, always best to sort the hoses asap, I'd need the chassis number to give you the correct Pt No.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again, do you mean the quite thick rubber hose that goes over the battery? If so I've now had a closer look and there is a rachem sleeve on it that has rubbed thru' on a braided battery cable, it feels as if the hose has rubbed as well but not much and it's underneath so can't actually see damage, would it need to be a big visible split or does this sound feasible? Chassis no. is ZAR93200000287057. Thanks for all help above.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try getting a mate to rev the car, this will get the intake pressurised and thus make it easy to detect the location, have a feel around to pinpoint the spot as it's not always visible. The noise should get you to the right area for starters.
It can be a tiny split that only shows up once the system is pressurised so can be tricky to notice.

Failing that, take off the hoses one by one and flex them whilst carefully inspecting for the illusive evidence. Any that look worn should be replaced even if the are not through yet as the odds' are they soon will be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back again! Followed advice about revving car but noise seems to be everywhere and can't really pinpoint it. I've also taped around the hose (the fat one that runs over the battery) where it looks like it may have rubbed but the noise is still there and still smoking, guess I'm just gonna have to buy new hose and hope it cures it. Any help on part no. or other ideas would be very welcome. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts