Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The exhaust is blowing at the rear but it seems to be coming from the joint at the back where the back box fastens onto the Hugh CAT, this seems a funny place to start blowing from, has anyone else had this problem ?

Just in case I now need a new back box does anyone know roughly how much they cost?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Not had a good look at my exhaust system but surely the CAT is nowhere near the back box! The CAT is typically at the front or is this a 166ism!!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
nah, cat's at the front.....rear boxes are probably a couple of hundred - might be worth getting a stainless one if you're keeping the car a while....

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
i got a quote from Alfa romeo......................................you might need to read this twice!

£600 for the BB!

..................................................my words "****ing hell" , eb is the way, £170!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
niallmoran said:
nah, cat's at the front.....rear boxes are probably a couple of hundred - might be worth getting a stainless one if you're keeping the car a while....
:eek: My MIG welder might just be getting an airing.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
crossa said:
:eek: My MIG welder might just be getting an airing.
Hi J.Still not done my fan yet...Just using a tea towel as a temp until weather gets better.If the exhaust is realively sound then thats your best idea.....I got my 3.0 in may and some mig wire in the boot ..I thought strange never noticed anything fresh but had just been MOT'd.When I put private plate on it....Got a surprise at dvla glasgow...Yes a new MOT as at sale but also an adisory....Rear exhaust system has part of system slightly deteriorated....hence quick fix.
I read somewhere that the exhausts generally outlast the lives of the car (Maybe it was the CAT.)Various sites sell them Ive seen one like Ragazzon or similar...stainless too it I recall correctly.
Good to hear from you again.
Good Luck
Pomeo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know the cost of a stainless back box and where I could get one from, I'm from the Northeast England.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow pricing the exhaust from a local motor factor who normally gets good prices for me says it will be £403 as there is only one supplier, he has suggest getting an after market sports back box and making that fit the sort that often gets put onto corsa's e.t.c they cost from £40. That could be the way I will be going.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
hmmm...not sure i'd be keen on a corsa bean can style universal exhaust....there's a few suppliers of proper sports back boxes, all around 2-3 hundred quid or alternatively there's an ebay seller in germany who has rear exhausts for about a 170 euros - would still come in pretty cheap even with postage to the UK.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Got a stainless steel back box custom made for my 164 3.0 24v Super - £130 and got to choose my tailpipe and lifetime guarantee. This was about 5 years ago but price should not be that different .

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I got a Remus s/steel one for about £200 I think. Very well made. Nice noise but not too different to stock. Looks damn sight better.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the old box off and it does not look to bad rust wise it has come apart at the flange bit where it joins the pipe from the smaller centre box, So I will be attempting to weld this back together using a short section of pipe. I will let you know how I do and might post some before and after pics.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Good result Jim.Exhausts seen to be lasting a lot longer now than they did before. 99 mondeo still on original exhaust...probably now on last legs though.Dughters bravo led me a merry dance with a knocking sound while accelerating.Stripped shock abosrber off and it was fine..So easy to do too.Itwas eventually traced to the hanging bracket on the exhaust being loose.Got a new one delivered to the door from Butpartsby.co.uk...BUT they do not do the 166 V6 the last time I looked.
Pomeo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the my exhaust is now repaired I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if my measurements are correct and it still mates up with the other end. If it all fits together then it is going for an MOT on Saturday so that will be the acid test.

I have attached some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
crossa said:
Well the my exhaust is now repaired I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if my measurements are correct and it still mates up with the other end. If it all fits together then it is going for an MOT on Saturday so that will be the acid test.

I have attached some pics.
Jim your welding is a lot better than mine My mig is lying in my garage gathhering dust until its required again.Good luck with the MOT.Mines passed this week.

Pomeo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pomeo said:
Jim your welding is a lot better than mine My mig is lying in my garage gathhering dust until its required again.Good luck with the MOT.Mines passed this week.

Pomeo
Thanks Pomeo, I refitted the back box tonight and to my surpise it fitted perfectly and of course it does not blow. Mind the car sounded better without a back box.

Jim

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Killed 2 birds with my wee mig welder yesterday.

Did the Bravo's exhaust and Pomeo's old back box which went at a different part from Crossa's

My welding is still so pathetic.

Need more practice.

Pomeo
But saving the planet as the exhausts were oh so sound but for a few wee sections needing TLC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts