Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Car is 156 2.0 TS year 98. I had the blower, blowing towards the face then shifted it to the right towards the windshield, it felt stuck so I gave it a harder turn and it just went "snap" and the knob continued moving without changing the direction of the blower.

At the moment my car is blowing only towards my face and it doesnt work on any other function. I took the blower knob away and even when I move the little plastic "tooth" that operates the ring it doesnt do anything. I can see the little plastic mechanical wheels in the back also moving but still nothing is happening.

I have read most of the threads but they all suggest restarting the engine and playing around with the computer which i dont think will help.

I think some plastic piece snapped off but I can figure out where as the mechanical wheels behind the knobs seem to work/spin without a problem.

All the other knobs (heating and blower power) work but blower directions dont.

Please help as its getting cold in finland and I my windshield is foggy all the time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does someone at least know how the mechanism works?

I could try taking the centre console away but I don't know will this help??
Can it be a fuse problem? Or its definitely a broken part problem?

Please Please Please any suggestions, windshield is all the time foggy and its horrible blowing towards my face all the time.

PS. When I turn knob to the most left (face blowing position) its does a weird "click" when it goes to the end, that weird click was also present before and I believe it was the reason for the snapping.

And yes I know im talkoing about knobs and blowing and stuff, which is funny, but being foggy is not funny :(

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
The control panel is in one unit behind the centre console. As it's all electronically controlled then the control panel will need to be fixed/replaced first. Then you might be able to find out why the flap controls have got stuck which will be up behind the dash ...

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
That probably makes a difference ... I assumed (wrongly) yours had A/C. I'm not sure with non-A/C cars as they didn't make many in the UK ... a/c was pretty much standard over here. I'd have to see if there is anything on elearn, but can't do that until later today.

I would imagine though the heater flaps have jammed and when you forced the knob to turn it's snapped of behind the centre console. I think you will have to take that out first to see what is going on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, I looked up on 156.net also and they have pictures of taking the console out, which isn't a problem.
What I'm more worried about is will that fix the problem.
Also is there some easy thing I could do to change the blower at least manually towards the windshield?
I mean i can move the mechanical wheels but they dont seem to do anything at all.

Thanks alot for the help!

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It sounds as if the lever which operates the cable operating the heater flaps has broken - perhaps because something has jammed the flaps.......as said, not much info from UK, as most cars here are aircon.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi I had a similar problem with my 1998 156 with no aircon.
The controls operate mechanically with a metal cable running inside a tube (like brake cables on bicycles but with a solid core). It's a long time ago so I can't remember the details but it wasn't the cable that snapped, it was a plastic moulding on the end.
Didn't matter, i had to buy a new cable anyway and it then took an hour hanging upside down to replace it from the footwell. When you have the new one in your hand it will be obvious how to fit it.
Nothing complicated, it's just very fiddly.

I also figured out that the flaps in the heater outlet on the top of the dashboard had got very stiff and that was what caused the problem. WD40 sorted that.

the good news is that if you feel under the dashboard and get hold of the end of the cable you should be able to move the flaps to a better position - then leave them like that until you fix it !
Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright boys,

I'll try to open the centre console on the weekend (merry christmas to me) and post pics..if its the metal cable ill be happy..its not actually that big of a problem (the blowing still is really warm and works fine), but ive been just so sad since it was my own fault that i yanked it too hard...makes me feel like i hit my own wife without trying to ;(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts