Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. Stopped working a few weeks ago and not sure where to even start. Now that winter is drawing in its a nightmare with it fogging up on the inside.

It's the model with digital ac and climate control

I've checked the fuses and they are all fine.

It sometimes kicks in if I hit a pothole but there is no strength to the fan speed.

Any help appreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
If it doesn't work on any setting, new heater blower OR you may have damage to the wiring.

If it only works on the top speed, then it is probably the resistor which pulls the motor speed down from full to the three lower speeds.

If you fit a new resistor and it blow, probably the motor again which is binding and causing the fused link in the resistor to blow.

Resistor is clipped in, motor held in with two or three torx screws.

http://www.heaterblowerresistor.co.uk/alfaromeomitoheaterresistor.html

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
the "working feebly after hitting a pothole" suggest it's a poor connection. The most logical place and reason is worn bushes in the fan motor, or worn bearings (tilted axle). You can confirm this by measuring the voltage at the heater fan plug trying the various speeds.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I ended up fitted a new heater fan and resistor after burning out a couple of new resistor units ... the motor was definitely not spinning as freely as I would have expected. So when out I had a look and there are tell-tale signs of rust on the lower motor bearing!! More cheapo asian parts ..

I also found a leaf in the motor which probably means it is the intake side of the cabin filter where most cars the cabin filter is first and catches most of the crud before it gets to the motor.

And a couple of days ago the new one got a leaf .. you can hear it "whizzing" again the fan blades .. so that motor will need to come out and get cleaned.

And daughter's boyfriend's Fiat Punto has just lost it's heater fan .. going to be an expert in these soon! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up fitted a new heater fan and resistor after burning out a couple of new resistor units ... the motor was definitely not spinning as freely as I would have expected. So when out I had a look and there are tell-tale signs of rust on the lower motor bearing!! More cheapo asian parts ..

I also found a leaf in the motor which probably means it is the intake side of the cabin filter where most cars the cabin filter is first and catches most of the crud before it gets to the motor.

And a couple of days ago the new one got a leaf .. you can hear it "whizzing" again the fan blades .. so that motor will need to come out and get cleaned.

And daughter's boyfriend's Fiat Punto has just lost it's heater fan .. going to be an expert in these soon! ;)
Are you able to indicate where the fan motor is located as I haven't got the first clue of where to start. Plus I don't want to be removing parts of the dash I don't need to. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bump

Can anyone give any info where this is located and if its doable to do for novice?

Mine went on way home from work. Doesnt work on any of the settings

Thanks

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
It's up under the dash in the passenger footwell. There is a lead with five wires plugged into a resistor unit which is itself fitted to the white/opaque plastic. Check that plug first as the Fiat I am working on has a very badly burnt and melted plug!!! If it is damaged then you can get a new plug and fly leads to patch in.

The resistor is simply clipped in and once you close the clips in slightly (one with a screwdriver and one with you finger/thumb) it slides out of it's housing.

The fan is behind a black plastic air pipe (easy to remove, one screw although it's the torx type) and then three small 6mm headed bolts hold in in place. Unplug the wiring first. It drops down as a unit with the housing. Our MiTo fan motor was very stiff and didn't spin as easy as I would have liked.

The resistor is available from Alfa/Fiat dealers on fleabay for about £9 .. the motors .. £45 and up!

BTW .. and I hope this doesn't scare too many people .. the heater fan/wiring in the MiTo (and Fiat Grande Punto) is the same as the Vauxhalls that keep catching fire (Corsa, Meriva, Zafira, etc .. ). I haven't heard any tales of the Alfas or Fiats catching fire though ..

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Resistor plug is to right with 5 wires .. this is a fix spliced in. Brown, orange, blue, green/black & yellow on original plug/loom. Resistor is up inside white plastic housing.

This is the Fiat I mentioned. Spliced new plug in today and all working again.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts