Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

Have anyone installed a blow off valve on this engine?

What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
oh dear........

Why do you want a dump valve on a Diesel...?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
A bit daft seeing as a diesel doesn't have a throttle to close, in that it works on a surfeit of air under fuel control......

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
I'm just asking, guys. Why it would not work on diesel?
Dump valves exist to prevent the turbo stalling when the throttle butterfly is closed.
Diesel engines do not have a throttle butterfly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is mechanically impossible on a diesel engine.

You can install a fake one, who makes a whoosh sound out of your speakers when you depress your throttle.
Hi all I thought I had some sort on dump valve on a Audi a3 2.0 tdi that I use to own:confused: certainly sounded like one, not a huge dump of air like on my old evo but deffo something like it on a lower scale.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i have a wastegate on my 1.9
turbo at pressure and under load, lift of accelerator and press clutch at same tim an it goes tsss tssss tsss tss ts

your 2.4 should have one also as its a safety feature to stop your turbo from getting damaged...
its not loud but is audiable, not like the WOOOOSSSSHHHH of a scooby though, thank god...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, it is there! i made test like this - second gear, starting from about 1800rpm full throttle till 4000rpm then release gas pedal and press clutch pedal to go to third but did not go to third. i could hear a 'whuuuuu' sound, quite audible. i hope it is wastegate thingy! when i engage third and continue to accelerate, cannot hear anything.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Wastegates and Dump-valves are different things.
A wastegate releases the exhaust before the turbo.
A dump-valve releases pressure in the intake between the turbo and the throttle-butterfly.

Besides, I think you both have a VNT turbo with no wastegate anyway...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
A dump-valve releases pressure in the intake between the turbo and the throttle-butterfly.

always wondered what the difference was with the two.

and they have got a wastegate, part of the remap is to adjust the pressure at which it opens as its electronically controlled to give more power for longer... plus im sure all turbos come with a wastegate, some are mechanical as you can just wind the screw in or out to adjust the spring tension to ajust the pressure at which it opens...

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
VNT turbos use movable vanes to change the boost ratio of the turbo instead of having a wastegate.
What you are looking at is the VNT actuator.

Wrong to say "all turbos come with a wastegate", before VNT came along most had wastegates (some internal some external) but some ran with no wastegates at all...

·
Registered
422 Posts
VNT turbos use movable vanes to change the boost ratio of the turbo instead of having a wastegate.

Wrong to say "all turbos come with a wastegate", before VNT came along most had wastegates (some internal some external) but some ran with no wastegates at all...
Very true, we even still make some fixed geometry (no wastegate) stuff for the commercial diesel market.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

Wow, now thats a quick crash course on turbo's :lol: Good bit of info

1 - 18 of 18 Posts