Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This evening we went to look at a 1988 911 that my professor wants to buy.

me the Prof and one of his friends piled into the 166 and we set off to look at the car.

Amazingly nice car. after we view it we went back to the profs house which is on a hill. We went in side and he offered us a cup of tea. But as it was quite late me and his friend declined. went back out to the street were my car was parked up hill from his car and there was a groaning sound from the 166. I unlocked it and opened the door and relised the handbrake was about to go.

Didn't know what to do as my weight might tip it over the edge. At which point at went and started rolling I had to dive into the car and pull the handbrake as hard as possible! with the other chap looking nervous for some reason.

I bought the 166 with a dodgy handbrake Had it replace it needed replacing again for the MOT to the tune of £480! And it still doesn't work. Its beging to make me want to get rid of it.

For some reason its really upset me. as it could have ended far worse. if he had moved his car and I was still inside then it probably would have ended up in somebody's garden (possably living room)

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Park it in gear. Problem sorted :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
what kinda advice is that Pud?

It has been repaired twice? recenty too well within a year IIRC.

so Stu take it back to them.......BUT you did set it properly ie put it on properly....my 2 cars handbrakes have never had any issues.
was the £480 just the handbrake?

Oh it was the professor you went out with...this dyslexia is causing me issues like yer handbrake:eek: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

but if all else fails as pud says leave it in gear....sprortronics dont have this problem..belts n braces etc.
Pomeo

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers I usaly do. however on this instance I was dying for a pee! The last 15 miles spent behind a car that went at 30 miles braked for oncoming traffic and corners!

I'm beging to take a dislike to my mechanic. If I take it there again he will charge my the earth like he always does while saying "all Alfas do that"

The list of maintance for my 166

Fornt disics and pads (bought)
Replace bracket that holds catilitic converter
Replace radiator (bought)
replace rear calipers?
Change oil and oil filter (bought - 1L of selena (why do they sell it in 5L bottles?))

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Cheers I usaly do. however on this instance I was dying for a pee! The last 15 miles spent behind a car that went at 30 miles braked for oncoming traffic and corners!
So you didn't put the handbrake on and were so deperate to get into was it the profs hoose.:D :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:the truth will set you free:cheese:

I'm beging to take a dislike to my mechanic. If I take it there again he will charge my the earth like he always does while saying "all Alfas do that"
FFS Get another mechanic asap...what about chic in ek.

mine dont do that.moderate but not a lot.

Change oil and oil filter (bought - 1L of selena (why do they sell it in 5L bottles?))
the are copying Coca Cola etc.....get 5 litre fully synthetic...halfords on BOGOF AND CHANGE REGULARY COZ IT ALL COMES OUT THE SAME HOLE IN THE GROUND....AND ITS NOW UNDER $100 DOLLARS A BARREL...BUT THE PRICE OF PETROL IS REMAINING THE SAME

POMEO

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
When pulling the handbrake on the discs would have been hot, after a bit of cooling down the pads can loose grip as the metal of the disc has contracted. It is acommon problem - A couple of 159 owners have recently complained after finding their cars crushed into brick walls BUT not just an Alfa problem as it is just a basic fact.

I always leave in gear and if using the handbrake then pull it up extra tight to ensure over compensation for cooling effects.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Sound advice, in my opinion. I do that all the time, even on a normal, flat road. The MoT tester said that many Alfas only just pass the handbrake test, even when it has been fully adjusted!

Incidentally, in places like San Francisco, which is very hilly, you have to park in gear *and* with the front wheels turned into the kerb. If you don't, they give you a very big fine...

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
When pulling the handbrake on the discs would have been hot, after a bit of cooling down the pads can loose grip as the metal of the disc has contracted. It is acommon problem - A couple of 159 owners have recently complained after finding their cars crushed into brick walls BUT not just an Alfa problem as it is just a basic fact.

I always leave in gear and if using the handbrake then pull it up extra tight to ensure over compensation for cooling effects.
Sound advice, in my opinion. I do that all the time, even on a normal, flat road. The MoT tester said that many Alfas only just pass the handbrake test, even when it has been fully adjusted!

Incidentally, in places like San Francisco, which is very hilly, you have to park in gear *and* with the front wheels turned into the kerb. If you don't, they give you a very big fine...
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

with all those head engineers,experts and designers they never even had a physics OGrade between then.With all the superfunction advances in motor technology they have over looked the basics.:wow: not just alfa we got a letter off of vauxhal advising to leave in gera SO instead of curing the problem they let the problem remain.Yea a wee sticker on the sun visor works wonders doesn't it.
:cry: :rant: vectra just back from asda hamilton where some carelss prat (AREAL BIG PRUNE ,TONY)HAS SRACTHED THE REAR BUMPER.(EVERY CLOUD HAS A SILVER LINING...i wasne in charge of it thank FRANCE)..JUST AS WELL IT WASN'T ONE OF THE 166'S OR THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN WAR.
BUT DOUGIE ...STU NEEDED A PEE...OTHER THINGS ON HIS MIND OTHER THAN SETTING THE HANDBRAKE.

TONY THE LAN OF THE BRAVE AND THE FREE WHERE IT IS ILLEGAL TO REVERSE INTO A PAKING SPACE COZ THE PLANETS(URANUS) CANT DRIVE PROPERLY AS R IS THE FIRST GEAR THEY COME TO IN AN AUTO BOX.

pomeo

·
Registered
379 Posts
Leaving the car in gear is good advise, but the point is that any car should be able to park in an incline with only the handbrake on..
Never had this with my 66...solid strong handbrake..mind you , now I said it, it will probably go...oooooooooooooooh.....

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Leaving the car in gear is good advise, but the point is that any car should be able to park in an incline with only the handbrake on..
eXACLTY dafi ..........but when you return to the car after you pee and forget to check its in neutral and the car lurches forward and the starter benix (if they still have that) jams and its a BIGGER prob.:D

Pomeo
pty vx never sent a WARNING LETTER THAT THE GEARBOX WOULD SELF DESTRUCT AND LEAVE OIL ALL OVER YOUR DRIVEWAY.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eXACLTY dafi ..........but when you return to the car after you pee and forget to check its in neutral and the car lurches forward and the starter benix (if they still have that) jams and its a BIGGER prob.:D

Pomeo
pty vx never sent a WARNING LETTER THAT THE GEARBOX WOULD SELF DESTRUCT AND LEAVE OIL ALL OVER YOUR DRIVEWAY.
YoUr GeTTiNG BeTtEr WiTh THAT keyBoaRD :D

I've taken to parking it on flat ground for ages now. How ever the Prof seems to live on a Campsie!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
that was close?

well car damaged washing machine has blown up and cut off power...those bloody physicists in swiss france with their particle accelerator have at lot to answer for.

aagh

P

·
Registered
674 Posts
After twenty-odd years of Italian car ownership I've learnt to never trust the handbrake. My 166 actually has the best of the lot, but I grew up with 'Suds, and the like, where the handbrake was purely decorative.

Always leave a car in gear (or an auto in Park) and turn the wheels slightly to the kerb. That way if she does accidentally pop out of gear she will just roll gently against the kerb. In San Francisco apparently this is the law.

I borrowed a mate's rally prepared Fiat Ritmo Abarth once. Being rally prepared he had the detent knob removed from the handbrake. So it would brake the rear wheels when you pulled it but it wouldn't lock on. In the wilds of Wicklow I had to get out of the car to move a fallen branch from the road. Despite turning the engine off and leaving the car in gear I looked back in horror to see her rolling back down the road. In milliseconds I imagined me trying to explain to my mate how is pride and joy ended up in a ditch and the mental image was so shocking that I set a new world record for the 100 yard dash.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I borrowed a mate's rally prepared Fiat Ritmo Abarth once. Being rally prepared he had the detent knob removed from the handbrake. So it would brake the rear wheels when you pulled it but it wouldn't lock on. In the wilds of Wicklow I had to get out of the car to move a fallen branch from the road. Despite turning the engine off and leaving the car in gear I looked back in horror to see her rolling back down the road. In milliseconds I imagined me trying to explain to my mate how is pride and joy ended up in a ditch and the mental image was so shocking that I set a new world record for the 100 yard dash.
:cheese: :cheese: memories of an incident which happenned to my late father one election day back in the 60's .....memories...priceless.thanks michaelb...the old brain box is a unique piece of equipment ...all the things that you thought that you had forgotten and one wee trigger brings it all back.

I might invest in one of these to leave on the foot brake!

i'll have a few of these soon but not that fiat stuff on them its vauhall vectra geabox oil and if you are really nice to me stu i'll give you one with some lovely silver metal filings on it.

Pomeo
yeh this keyboard is stu the blu's old laptop.he had it for a year and wanted a new one....he had dropped it thrown it stood on it about the only thing he never did id put a nail through it.the BIGARROW UP button below the CAPS LOCK probably has never worked and he never noticed....i just realised i tend to youse (USE) THE LEFT ARROW UP BOTTON A LOT as opposed to the right hand one.

psychologists get yer thinking caps on.

Pomeo

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Incidentally.... you have to park in gear *and* with the front wheels turned into the kerb...
Actually, you should do this anyway... full left lock facing downhill, full right lock if uphill (assuming parked on the l/h/s of the road, of course!) and as close to the kerb as you can...

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I parked my 147 on a hill at work 5 days a week for over a year, no problems.

Had a full service two days later, car ended up at the bottom !!!!!!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
I parked my 147 on a hill at work 5 days a week for over a year, no problems.

Had a full service two days later, car ended up at the bottom !!!!!!
yep very worrying that tom i hope you got somewhere when you complained regarding it or was it a cop out from who did the work.

Pomeo

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Na i trust the guys, id been hammering the car on the way to work and the disks would have been very hot!! I think it was the cooling disk problem.

So hey ho

1 - 20 of 23 Posts