Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... literally! Managed to change the thermostat on my 156 but also managed to shed a considerably amount of blood in the process. The lower two hoses were a ***** to get off and a couple of sharp edges on the engine block have shredded my hands (which are now liberally coated in TCP anti-septic cream!).

Anyhow, apart from the blood it's done so one less thing to worry about for now.

A big thank you to everyone who offered advice and especially AndyMac for the excellent guide he posted.

Cheers

Andy
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The lower ones are awkward, but when I did it I found it was easier to remove the thermostat housing from the engine block and then you can bend the hoses round a bit till you can reach the clips. Just cut the old ones off and replace with jubilee clips.

Likewise on replacing, tighten up the lower hoses first then fit the housing to the block, makes things easier again.

Try super glue for your cuts, it seals 'em up pretty good I find. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't have any problems with the clips, most were changed to jubilees already. The problem I had was actually getting the last rear pointing pipe off, it was like it was welded on! In the end brute force (and ignorance!) worked!
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Here's how I do it when a pipe is stuck on. Using an old flat blade screwdriver (old so it's not too sharp) poke it up one side of the hose and twist it slightly, repeat on the opposite side and it should start to free the pipe off. twist the pipe whilst doing this and it will come loose.

Try to avoid using a lubricant to free it off as it will be harder to make it seal afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Thats exactly how I did it in the end Rob! Just was the hardest one to get to but it eventually gave in and popped off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first long run since changing the thermostat as I'm back to work. Once it had warmed up it sat rock solid at just under 90 on the gauge. Left it running when I got to work for a few minutes, went up to 95-100 and the fan kicked it and brought it back down.

Well pleased, saved myself about £100 :) as had a quote for ~£140 from a garage to replace it including parts and labour.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top