Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

March 2009, bought my 166, insured it through Elephant
October 2009, bought my 146, insured it Elephant.
When I insured my 146, Elephant suggested Admiral Multicar which worked out cheaper so I went for that. Hope your following this really tricky concept.
When my 166 insurance runs out in January 2010 (10 month policy) it joins my 146 on the multicar, hope your keeping up.
2 weeks ago get a renewal quote from Elephant £468 but not part of the multicar :confused:
2 days later get a letter from Admiral, phone them to renew my insurance :confused:

So today I phone Admiral to add my 166 to the multicar, they tell me not to worry about the Elephant renewal "thats a seperate policy incase you don't want multicar" :confused:
So I tell them I want to add my 166 to the 146 policy and do the Multicar route.
Now I understand that this is a really difficult to understand concept and its not like they have all the information to hand :rolleyes:

Why was I on the phone for 31 minutes & 31 seconds and I'm sure I spoke to everyone apart from the tea lady :mad:

Plus if I hadn't phoned them would Elephant have taken my £468 for a policy I don't need, even now I'm not sure they wont try :mad:

I'm sure these companies could save a fortune if one person could do more than one thing rather than pass me to whatever department :mad:

One saving grace is that at least they were English speaking, well they were Welsh :lol:, but much better than Aviva's India's , can't understand a bloody word half the time with them :mad:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
I've just renewed with Admiral, they were a couple of hundred quid cheaper than my current insurer, then when my paperwork came through from my current insurer they had magically reduced my NCB by a year which added £70 to the premium.

The quote the current insurer sent said I had 5 years NCB, but the proof of NCB document says 4 not sure if I can do anything about it though.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
The quote the current insurer sent said I had 5 years NCB, but the proof of NCB document says 4 not sure if I can do anything about it though.
:rant: Happened to me years ago :rant:

I now every renewal notice for the past 10 years :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only telling the truth, no disrepect to the people on the phone, just when most of the conversation ends up as "pardon" it gets very frustrating. Plus there are many subtleties in our language that we use everyday that can be very misleading to others.

N

·
0 Posts
'sall right.

Most people think folk with a west country accent
are all yokels who ride around on tractors and such like.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'sall right.

Most people think folk with a west country accent
are all yokels who ride around on tractors and such like.
Ahh but I was born in Surrey :lol:, although when I was in Leeds people though I had a Bristol accent or should that be Bristle :lol:

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Ahh but I was born in Surrey :lol:, although when I was in Leeds people though I had a Bristol accent or should that be Bristle :lol:
I thought it was brissel?

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
not Brizzle?
That's my favourite so far. :thumbs:

Anyway, back to the subject:

A habit which insurers have, which they have (so it seems to me) developed further in recent years.
The renewal comes. It is invariably more than last years premium.
You shop around and get a better price.
You contact your current insurer, and they agree to match the price.
Why didn't you just quote that in the first place, you money grabbing gits? :mad:
(On and the unconvincing "I'll check with my manager", which actually means "I'll just put you on hold for 2 mins, while I pick my nose and make up a better number")

Now, in actual fact - while it's a bit irritating - I can cope with all that. The cut and thrust of business, etc.
But theu've evolved the system now. For the last 4 or 5 years, no matter which company, I've found that they don't price match any more. Without fail, what they do is to say the lowest they can manage is your best price +~£20. Basically, they have hit upon the realisation that they can earn an extra £20 on every premium by preying on the fact that people will pay that extra rather than go through the hassle of moving insurer. Now that is just underhanded. :mad:

I would urge people, in this situation, even if you don't really care about the £20, to refuse. I have this year (although it was made easier because it seems they have evolved further and decided to push their luck by making it £40)

(By the way: If Dan from AF is reading this - this isn't aimed at you. The reason I never bothered ringing back to 'fine tune' the proposal was that you were a good £60 away from the Swiftcover quote, and I thought it unlikely that you'd be able to beat it.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts