Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bit of an ongoing problem here.

since having a used set of Autodelta Sportline coilovers fitted to my GTA, there's been a "clunk" from the back of the car, predominantly from the nearside.

after finding that there was no pre-load on the springs (i could jack the car up and pull the spring down from it's mounting and waggle it about with little effort) both coilovers have been adjusted to pre-load the springs, and sit level again. tiny bit higher ride height, but meh.

i have also replaced both rear trailing arms, rear anti-roll bar, rear droplinks.

there is still a dull clunk from the rear of the car on going over bumps, and it's getting on my nerves now. it's not a metal-on-metal "bang", just a clunk.

springs are not broken. only thing i can spot i the helper spring on the NSR coilover is not as compressed as the OSR one, although both adjustment collars on the coilover sit the same number of threads up the coil, if you get me.

anyone any idea what might be causing this noise?

sometimes it can be heard often, like a rattle, on an uneven road, sometimes it just happens occasionally over some speedbumps but not all.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Not unheard of for a droplink to work it's way loose if its been tightened up recently.

The coilovers should be fine as they was no noise when they were on the old car.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Have you checked for simple things like the exhaust or even the spare wheel rattling around?

I hate noises you can't diagnose. You end up spending a fortune and getting no where :(

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exhaust doesnt move, or at least i cant pull it myself against anything.

droplinks are good, but worth checking even though they've been replaced since the noise started.

not carrying a spare, so can't be that. :)

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Hub bush.

Jack the back end up and get underneath, and hit these two rear arms with your fist in the direction of the arrow. I bet on the clunking side you get a knock, and nothing on the other side. :)

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Oh, hmm. Not sure then. I would have sworn from your description that it was hub bush.. Perhaps you have a duff top mount. If you pull away the boot carpet, lean into the boot and have both your hands holding onto the strut top, and get someone else to bounce that corner of the car, see if you can feel if its the top mount or something in that area knocking.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like something majorly wrong.

on the way home, it sounded like it was from both sides, going over a dip/rough patch in the road with one side only, i could persuade both sides to clunk.

what else could move? loose top mounts?

fuel tank?

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Think you need to get under it with a lever bar..

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Any rubber bush basically. Its bound to be one of them and if it isn't, then its probably the topmounts or shocks.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Not necessarily, I just changed the rears on my M Tree Innit and one of them was knocking but had no leaks.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
If you find it is the shocks (which I doubt), then I will give you a full refund for them mate and take them back. But there were no noises whatsoever when they were on mine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts