Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to sell a P/X which I took for my Wife's old car. I have had several people come and look at it and moan that it needs work (very little) which considering I only want a few hundred quid for a car with 12 months MOT and 6 months test, is starting to P me off. No end of illiterate texts about the car. My gripe is this, are there no normal people out there buying and selling cars for under a grand? I have just sold my Scimitar to a great chap from Northampton who was polite, honest and reliable but when it comes to non classic I end up with dodgy toothed, prison tattoed, pie eating, child screaming, stinky chavs in their stolen Pajeros who arrive en masse for a day out! Surely there must be some straight people out there that can't afford a new car?:cry:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Had the same when I was selling my old Golf, the number of people calling and giving absolutely ridiculous offer (less than 50% of the price when selling at £5k) was ridiculous.
There other half never turn up to view when promised either,

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I usually just stick 'em on ebay 99p start and no reserve these days to prevent this nonsense.

You'll always get idiots turning up saying "I saw an immaculate one of these yesterday for £500 less" and so on otherwise.

·
Registered
44,775 Posts
Last time I sold a car was '09. Went in Autotrader, had about 10 or 12 calls that never showed up :mad:. Then this fella from Leeds rang, said he would be here tonight to have a look, he turned up early and bought the car after only 5 minutes of looking. :D The car was a bit of a bargain so he didn't even haggle !

C

·
0 Posts
Trying to sell a P/X which I took for my Wife's old car. I have had several people come and look at it and moan that it needs work (very little) which considering I only want a few hundred quid for a car with 12 months MOT and 6 months test, is starting to P me off. No end of illiterate texts about the car. My gripe is this, are there no normal people out there buying and selling cars for under a grand? I have just sold my Scimitar to a great chap from Northampton who was polite, honest and reliable but when it comes to non classic I end up with dodgy toothed, prison tattoed, pie eating, child screaming, stinky chavs in their stolen Pajeros who arrive en masse for a day out! Surely there must be some straight people out there that can't afford a new car?:cry:
What is it? How much are you asking for it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am tempted just to weight it in but don't like stuff being wasted, perfectly good car with racing pedigree and 79k on the clock. Probably fleebay it with 99p start and let all the watchers I have at the mo as a classified, fight over it. Could do with the cash this week rather than next, I have weighed stuff in before and then seen it turn up on a garage forecourt!

C

·
0 Posts
i am tempted just to weight it in but don't like stuff being wasted, perfectly good car with racing pedigree and 79k on the clock. Probably fleebay it with 99p start and let all the watchers i have at the mo as a classified, fight over it. Could do with the cash this week rather than next, i have weighed stuff in before and then seen it turn up on a garage forecourt!
what is it? How much is it?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
But.... can I just say that this forum is guilty of the same behaviour every time a car for sale is discussed, notably GTVs.
It's always the same old song...,Make sure it has new rear suspension, cam belt just done, new oil cooler and has less than 70000 miles, if not offer him a thousand pounds less.
Yeah right, Ok. unless this £3000 car has had £2000 spent on it in the last six months you make a derisory offer or you shouldn't buy it.
What the OP is fed up about is being fueled by the various car forums and the bartering culture bought about by the Mike Brewer types of the world.
I'm sick of it too.

C

·
0 Posts
But.... can I just say that this forum is guilty of the same behaviour every time a car for sale is discussed, notably GTVs.
It's always the same old song...,Make sure it has new rear suspension, cam belt just done, new oil cooler and has less than 70000 miles, if not offer him a thousand pounds less.
Yeah right, Ok. unless this £3000 car has had £2000 spent on it in the last six months you make a derisory offer or you shouldn't buy it.
What the OP is fed up about is being fueled by the various car forums and the bartering culture bought about by the Mike Brewer types of the world.
I'm sick of it too.
So, just to get clear on this...When you go to look at a possible purchase and like it, you'll happily pay the asking price with no haggling?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Proton Coupe, hens teeth. 1.8i 16v twin cam Mitsubishi, 0-60 9 secs, recaro seats, momo, lotus tuned suspension, 79k and comprehensive history. V popular for series racing and street mods "fast n furious" brigade. I have now stuck it on fleebay auction starting at 99p and cashing the tax in. One of only two on there, the other one is £3995 as it is race prepared but same motor. Just want shot of the car as I need cash. Problem is I have had people wanting the car with full MOT and the 6 months tax for £400, yeah no problem, just wait whilst I bend over, in fact let me just give you the car and I know that these people have no intention of insuring.:mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am guilty of using the, hmmm needs a cambelt change and suspension knock sounds expensive when buying my Alfas, but these are things which you will have to get sorted sooner rather than later, not, will you take £10 cos thats all I have brought with me!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
So, just to get clear on this...When you go to look at a possible purchase and like it, you'll happily pay the asking price with no haggling?
I wouldn't go to look at a car that I didn't think was worth the asking price. Neither would I stand there and list all the faults to an owner then offer him an insulting price. If I find things wrong with a car I don't buy it. The last thing I want when I get a new car is to have it in the workshop for the first week I own it.

On thinking about it on past form, no, I don't haggle. I paid the asking price for my Alfa and our two daily drivers. Although I admit when I walked away from the Vectra the guy reduced the price without me asking but that's not haggling.
I certainly don't look at a car with the mindset of knocking them down.

I paid the asking price for our house as well :lol:

·
Registered
33,124 Posts
I put my Delta HPE on Viva Lancia years ago at a very reasonable price and only one person came to look at it , bringing a wad several hundred short of the asking price and I told him the price. He came back the next day with the right money. Shortly afterwards a friend saw it on pistonheads for twice the money. He had stayed in touch and said he was going to have to sell as the economy had hit the fan and he worked on the city. He kept it at his second house and usually got their in his M5

C

·
0 Posts
I think that buyers are victims are wary of timewasting sellers, and sellers are wary of timewasting buyers. It's just the world we live in.
If I go to look at a car and maybe, it's not quite what I thought, (or maybe it is) I will always attempt to pick out the negatives to try and get a knock down if I really want the car whatever.
It's a natural sport to do this, as well as it is for someone to overdescribe a car in order to get folk to look at it. It's all one big game.
The 1st spider we looked at, looked wonderful with a lovely description. I asked to see the service history...Nothing, Nada, not even one receipt. Yes I walked away. The next one (my current one) didn't have much description but had EVERY receipt from the factory to current day, and was far cheaper than car number one. I still got 200 quid off it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe in paying a fair price for a car based on any faults etc... I think you pay premium price with the "walk away" attitude if there is the slightest problem rather than a major no no of missing history, don't get gems doing that.. its called speculating rather than just being a punter paying hyped prices or wasting time and money searching for that holy grail, you see them on the TV with programmes such as location location, I like a good haggle when its mutual rather than a one sided, let me tell you whats s**t as my girlfriend is watching and I want her to see what a big white hunter I am! can I stop you there, good bye!

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
The thought of dealing with the Great Unwashed and their "What's your lowest price" phone calls before they've even been to see if the car is already a bargain or not - is why WBAC.COM actually exist.

It's got to the point nowadays where people will take 30% less than a car is worth (either in a p/x or via WBAC) to not have to suffer the private selling process.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's all I get these days,"will ya take, smack in the gob and a packet o crisps mate?" Yeah, why not, what was I thinking advertising a reasonable and fair asking price! Its this cheap, own brand, George at Asda culture with shoddy knock off but people will still spend £500 for a mobile phone.. bargain! I'll have ten when my Giro comes in, that will impress down social. As a Nation, I think we suck!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts