Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roads around here (Totnes, South Devon) are an absolute disgrace. Potholes big enough to swallow a house everywhere including in the towns, country lanes and major A roads. Driving here is a constant edge of seat scanning for potholes to swerve around experience. I've kind of got used to it and put it down to the fact that the "authorities" have run out of money because it's the end of the financial year......but no. Today in Totnes, they were out in a lorry with a gang of men repainting the yellow lines because they'd got a bit faded here and there. The roads are so bad they had to leave sections of the repainting as there wasn't any road left to put the paint on!

The only thing that cheered me up was a protest poster which read "We used to drive on the left of the road but now we have to drive on what's left of the road".

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
Same around here.

Considering we are meant to be one of the better off parts of the UK (Yeah right) it is a disgrace.

They can find plenty of money to put up new bus stops as well as subsidising buses which no one ever uses. They can even find the money for 3 seperate bin collections each week, for all types of rubbish but can they keep the roads in safe condition?

If the roads are unsuitable people won't be able to get to work, then the country will be up S**t creek.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Road asphalt may actually gone melted together with snow.
Any authorities are always surprised with it and never budget money for this.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
38,706 Posts
Lots of things cause potholes here.

Snow
Ice
Rain
Heat

Never poor maintenance though.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
UK roads are schite.

You need a car adapted to such harsh terrain
over there. An SUV with adaptive supension...?

I blame the EU.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Snow, Ice, Rain, Heat are not a problem for the road if they are constant with one of them.
If you have spray free asphalt ( I suppose so ) the main problem is so called ZeroPass quantity per year or per use period. Road constructors should know average quantity temperature change from + to - per climate area and construct roads accordingly.
Here in St.Petersburg we have around 40 ZeroPass per year ( per winter in fact ) which is really too much. I hate road construction, but it is really better than bad roads in all.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Somebody needs to start something on 38 degrees to spend the money from the proposed HS2 lobbocks on repairing the roads that everybody use.
I go to London on the train a couple of times a year from Crewe so I'd like the HS2 project to go ahead thank you. Assuming I go there and back twice it will save me a total of about 40 minutes a year. Bloody good value if you ask me! ?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
If you think you can afford a pint bearing in mind;

You are in London

You just had to pay for a train ticket on HS2
I am not expecting to pay more to go on the hs2 Keithy! No way.

I hear what you say concerning the price of ale in the smoke but if you know where to drink you can get some change from a fiver per pint. If you drink premium lager it may be different but that's not on the menu as far as I am concerned. Too gassy and you don't want the after effects of that on a long train journey home even if it is 10 minutes quicker than it is now. ?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I am not expecting to pay more to go on the hs2 Keithy! No way.

I hear what you say concerning the price of ale in the smoke but if you know where to drink you can get some change from a fiver per pint. If you drink premium lager it may be different but that's not on the menu as far as I am concerned. Too gassy and you don't want the after effects of that on a long train journey home even if it is 10 minutes quicker than it is now. ?
There is an old pub up in Soho, where a pint is still under 3 quid, and wetherspoons just up from Horseguards parade, also under 3 quid a pint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts