Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After starting my 2.4 JTD 156 up I occasionally get the "glow plug" coil indicator on the dash blink at me, It is not on every start up and it lasts only 3-4 seconds before going off.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The glow plug lights indicate engine is being brought to temperature and you should wait it to turn off before starting the engine. (you probably know that but I just say for future reference)

Blinking lights after engine startup means there is a fault I think. I'm no JTD expert but you need to have it checked. Perhaps connecting to OBD will provide more details?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the same thing... I just presumed it was because they were warming up.

Does anyone have a definate answer to this?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
AFAIK if the glow plugs light is flashing after startup for JTD and facelift JTD it means there is a fault. 99.7% sure. Even if the light goes out after startup the problem is still there.

A definite answer would be provided if you check what is the OBD error code!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can confirm a flashing glow plug light does indicate a failure, and this can indeed be confirmed with the use of alfadiag or Fiat ECU Scan.

I wouldn't worry too much though if it is starting fine. I've had a failed glow plug all through winter and the nasty snow we had, and had no troubles at all starting the engine

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so are we thinking that its a problem with the glow plugs or a problem with the engine? I have a friend who has the diag software so may hook it up and see.
Goiung to give it a full service I think first to see if that sorts it. If it a problem with a glow plug then maybe this will sort it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Only with glow plug issues this will occur. And it will flash up to 30 seconds according to manual. If less than 30 seconds I guess it is a minor failure.

Again make sure the indicator turns off before engaging startup.

·
Registered
303 Posts
After a google search and reading alot of posts it seems this is acommon issue.

The main consensus is that its nota major problem. If the car starts first time and runs ok, let it blink away.

Think it is fixed with new plugs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New plugs it will be then, can anyone recommend the best brand/type to get? Im buying all the parts myself and getting a local garage to do the service only because not overly flush with money. Just want make sure that they use proper parts though.
Will need the same for all the filters etc, any websites/shops would be useful

·
Registered
79 Posts
i would always look into how hard they are to replace . on certain models of car they can be very hard to get out with out snapping if they have been in there since new. older cars can be easy due to the simple design but still risky if they car starts and drives fine anyway,.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
New plugs it will be then, can anyone recommend the best brand/type to get? Im buying all the parts myself and getting a local garage to do the service only because not overly flush with money. Just want make sure that they use proper parts though.
Will need the same for all the filters etc, any websites/shops would be useful
They are fixed in similar to a spark plug (just tighter) but they tend to be a problem getting out because they have been in for a long time without being removed. If the car starts first time without any problems you are best to leave alone - glow plugs only become really needed when the tempreture falls very low as they are used to warm the inside of the cylinder to help with starting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help on this. General feeling is to leave alone so thats what in doing, cant seem find and litriture to say this blinking light will blow my car up but being an Alfa you can never discredit!

Will keep informed if anything goes boom!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm having the same issue right now. Bought a '99 Alfa 166 2.4 JTD, read the manual and found out that blinking coil means a failure of one of the glow plugs. That's OK. Now, I would like to know how do I get the glow plugs out. What tool do I need? And how difficult is it? Has anyone of you done it before and can you give me some tips?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts