Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. Shame it's an issue one..

When I was driving back from work I revved to ~5k rpm at 1st gear to join the traffic, however after that the check engine light started to blink. When I drove to my destination (a mile later), the light was still blinking and I could feel the car lost its power (I could barely move in the 1st gear, car wouldn't rev) - the whole interior started shaking and it got slightly loud. When I opened the bonnet, I could see the engine was vibrating like it was about to jump out of the engine bay. I killed the engine, went home to get the OBD adapter, connected it just to see nothing- no errors whatsoever. When I turned the engine back on, everything went back to normal. I even took her for a short drive and revved her on neutral to see if I could replicate the issue to get the error from the ECU, but it was fine.

Have you encountered anything like that in the past? I'm slightly worried it's the MultiAir unit failure.. I'm also worried because I'll have to do over 60 miles tomorrow and I wouldn't like to call the RAC :(.

Edit 1: I have managed to replicate the issue and recorded it (sorry for the sideways video!):
It shows the problem from the beginning, I stop later and lift the bonnet. It only happens when I rev. Is the car safe to drive if the problem is with the MA unit and I don't rev it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interestingly, I have tried around 10 different android software to get the error log- there's nothing saved in the ECU. My mechanic also couldn't get the errors using his professional set. Moreover, when I restart the engine, it runs perfectly fine.

·
Registered
33,769 Posts
Just change them if they're older than 12 months?
They're not cheap but once you factor in the cost of having them checked you might as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A short update:
I've had the sparkplugs, oil filter, oil, fuel pump replaced and the issue is still there. I've booked a diagnostic service in one of the authorised alfa romeo garages for them to confirm my worst fears -MA unit.

·
Registered
33,769 Posts
How many miles did the car do following the unfortunate oil change?
My first MA had incorrect oil put in at first service but it was corrected within 50 miles which it survived and I traded it in at over 60000 miles without issues. The handbook said you can use a similar oil to spec as long as it's corrected that soon. The car misfired before the first service but I switched it off immediately and got it lowloaded to the dealers. I was following the recommended service interval but got it done at 15000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the oil, although it's getting worse.

I had 4 misfires in 2 days (two yesterday, two today, both when the engine was cold). I took it to a local garage, however when they plug in to it, it gave them no error codes. Also when they took her for a drive 2 times, they still couldn't replicate the issue.

They assume one of the injectors is off, but at the moment they're not sure. They may keep the car overnight to test it in the morning.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's not the oil, although it's getting worse.

I had 4 misfires in 2 days (two yesterday, two today, both when the engine was cold). I took it to a local garage, however when they plug in to it, it gave them no error codes. Also when they took her for a drive 2 times, they still couldn't replicate the issue.

They assume one of the injectors is off, but at the moment they're not sure. They may keep the car overnight to test it in the morning.
Worth checking the HT leads, these can sometimes arc intermittently, causing a real problem to locate. Had this happen twice over the past 40 years !:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have just got back from one of the authorised alfa dealers/garages and they did actually manage to get the error code- success!

Ladies and gentlemen, the most likely reason why the 2 morning misfires keep on happening in addition to the limp mode etc is... neutral position sensor- at least that what their diagnostic software showed. No other error codes were logged. That could explain why the start-stop system was not available..

I have done a little bit of digging and apparently a broken Neutral Position Sensor can cause my symptoms, including misfires.

They also could not put the blame on the multi air unit (not yet at least), it *seems* to be fine. They also revved the engine as hard as they could on the road to try and replicate the problem from my video and.. the same as 2 previous garages, they couldn't replicate it (which makes me think its not about the revs, but the gear).

I have also decided to leave the car overnight so they can try it tomorrow morning, but the replacement part is on its way. Fingers crossed.

Ps. I'd need to pay ~1500 pounds for a new multi air unit + fitting :X

·
Registered
42 Posts
My only advice would be to get the multi air unit checked out. The nuts come loose causing the misfire. If it was the whole unit I think it has different syptoms but a cylinder misfire sounds like it could be a nut coming loose in the multiair unit so could be worth getting it checked out for 2/3 hours labour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,769 Posts
Highly possible on a 2010 MA, it's the early examples that can suffer like Mitos which got the Multiair first. It may be too late for a goodwill gesture from Alfa unless you're first owner and can prove fsh.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have just got back from one of the authorised alfa dealers/garages and they did actually manage to get the error code- success!

Ladies and gentlemen, the most likely reason why the 2 morning misfires keep on happening in addition to the limp mode etc is... neutral position sensor- at least that what their diagnostic software showed. No other error codes were logged. That could explain why the start-stop system was not available..

I have done a little bit of digging and apparently a broken Neutral Position Sensor can cause my symptoms, including misfires.

They also could not put the blame on the multi air unit (not yet at least), it *seems* to be fine. They also revved the engine as hard as they could on the road to try and replicate the problem from my video and.. the same as 2 previous garages, they couldn't replicate it (which makes me think its not about the revs, but the gear).

I have also decided to leave the car overnight so they can try it tomorrow morning, but the replacement part is on its way. Fingers crossed.

Ps. I'd need to pay ~1500 pounds for a new multi air unit + fitting :X
In case it turns out to be the MA unit, 1500 seems on the high side.

Here in Holland I was quoted between EUR 1050 & 1350 so it might be worth to check some others before going to pay GBP 1500

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, if that is the case I'd be going to AutoLusso (I think they do it).

Just got the car back, it seems to be fine. No misfires in the morning when I picked it up. The start stop system started to work and I can now see the 'shift now' icon on the dash - which I could not see before. They've also 'thoroughly' checked the engine and they said everything is fine.

Fingers crossed the problem was just with the switch.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,044 Posts
Yeah, if that is the case I'd be going to AutoLusso (I think they do it).

Just got the car back, it seems to be fine. No misfires in the morning when I picked it up. The start stop system started to work and I can now see the 'shift now' icon on the dash - which I could not see before. They've also 'thoroughly' checked the engine and they said everything is fine.

Fingers crossed the problem was just with the switch.
We do Multi air units supplied and fitted including oil and filter for £960 inc VAT

Ned

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We do Multi air units supplied and fitted including oil and filter for £960 inc VAT

Ned
Thanks Ned, I will keep that in mind when things go south. How long does the procedure take? I'd have to drive all the way from Northampton..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have a look at a guy called A for Alfa in Aylesbury proper decent bloke always go to him for anything Alfa related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts