Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
What mental health problems could they logically cause?

Unless you count me throwing shapes in the gym as a mental health problem.
But that's just a perceived mental health problem. I'm not really mad, am I?

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
No. Of course not.

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
Good. Glad you agree.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Apparently - its something to do with damage to your hearing causing you to also hallucinate....

Are you sure you have been throwing things...?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've just noticed a Safari icon on my desktop. I have no idea how it got there or what it does. Any clues chaps?
During your last update of iTunes.

It's a third rate web browser from Apple.
Along with "Bonjour" some networking app.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
So don't bother with it seems to be your advice here Nev.

I didn't know that they could actually do that, just load something on your machine with no permission requested.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So don't bother with it seems to be your advice here Nev.

I didn't know that they could actually do that, just load something on your machine with no permission requested.
There is a tick-box you need to un-tick
for it not to install.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
No offence taken
Good :)

Don't iPods/MP3/Phones purchased in the EU
have the volume levels lower than those sold in other markets?
I think that is correct, I have a couple of US Market Creative devices that I was reliably informed are louder than their EU couterparts.

It's a third rate web browser from Apple.
It's not actually that bad from a standards compliancy POV, the problem probably being Microsofts age old ideology that Standards were Extensible and building in proprietary web controls that people used and other browsers had trouble with...

Microsoft have changed this tactic though, 'some' of their current product offerings are entirely standards driven. You can read more about how bad at playing well with other technologies Microsoft are here.

microsoft standards compliant - Google Search

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The iPod isn't a bad piece of hardware to be fair to it, the software it runs on and the iTunes pap you have to put up with is dire though.

For people who don't like the Crapple interface when using the iPod, look into Rockbox and Mediamonkey if you like the look of your iPod but wish it could do more.

Rockbox is an open-source operating system to replace the Fisher-Price my first MP3 player interface the iPod comes with. It looks very basic on the outset but a bit of fiddling and mine's working nicely now. It plays a ton of file formats Apple won't let you do, you can organise your music as you want and have a proper file/ folder structure rather than scattering your music into a zillion randomly named folders. You can apply skins, configure the menus as you want, it's a bit of fiddle to set it up but you only have to do it once and you're away.

MediaMonkey beats iTunes hands down in almost everything, you can sync to your iPod and any other MP3 player out there without it deciding it wants to wipe everything and start again, you set the directory structure you want to fill your ipod with. It organises, tags files from the internet, builds playlists, libraries, exports to Excel/ Access. The only thing missing is that it doesn't work with Linux.

Best of both worlds, you get the iPods swish design and you can use it how you want.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I quite like it myself
It's not actually that bad from a standards compliancy POV, the problem probably being Microsofts age old ideology that Standards were Extensible and building in proprietary web controls that people used and other browsers had trouble with...

I meant third rate as in I'd use Firefox or Opera over Safari.
(My only exposure has been on the Touch. Let's just say
it works 90% of the time.)

I'm fire retarded[sic], me! ;)

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
I meant third rate as in I'd use Firefox or Opera over Safari.
(My only exposure has been on the Touch. Let's just say
it works 90% of the time.)
I've had to bin off Firefox for IE7, single sign on via the windows security token doesn't work with FF and I'm developing workflow on Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server at the mo :(

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
The iPod isn't a bad piece of hardware to be fair to it, the software it runs on and the iTunes pap you have to put up with is dire though.

For people who don't like the Crapple interface when using the iPod, look into
MediaMonkey beats iTunes hands down in almost everything, you can sync to your iPod and any other MP3 player out there without it deciding it wants to wipe everything and start again, you set the directory structure you want to fill your ipod with. It organises, tags files from the internet, builds playlists, libraries, exports to Excel/ Access. The only thing missing is that it doesn't work with Linux.

Best of both worlds, you get the iPods swish design and you can use it how you want.
:thumbs: I have to agree. The iPod itself is very nice and ergonomic, it does have the " Feel Good " factor about it, perhaps like an Alfa !:rolleyes:

However the iTunes itself is absolutely awful, about the worst bit of consumer software I have ever seen and it drives me to distraction even when it's working as designed. When it glitches I head for the whisky.

Have to look into this Mediamonkey, is it the way forward ? No one has posted much about xplay yet either, are these two similar or is one better than the other or is just down to personal taste ? :confused: Really would like more info on this and it seems a few other folk would also be interested.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Heretic - burn the Blue Bear now!!!!!
:D :D :D

No, I know what he means. Apple users do tend to be a bit smug and self-satisfied. Probably because that's how Steve Jobs comes across - it sort of sets the tone! I don't have anything against Apple, I've just always used PC's so I'm used to them and their foibles now! Plus, I think Vista looks miles better than the Mac OS.

Ian

BTW, I did say "tend" to be a bit smug, so obviously everybody on here with a Mac is the exception that proves the rule. Phew! Think I got away with it.;)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Have to look into this Mediamonkey, is it the way forward ? No one has posted much about xplay yet either, are these two similar or is one better than the other or is just down to personal taste ? :confused: Really would like more info on this and it seems a few other folk would also be interested.
There's a zillion and one of these pieces of software out there, Anapod is also pretty popular, Winamp does the same job, Foobar with foo_pod, Songbird, even Windows Media Player will sync with your iPod. Not heard of xplay and never used it myself. All a matter of personal taste really, they all do pretty much the same thing, some are free, some aren't, all have cracked copies floating around the internet ;)

I like Mediamonkey because of it's snappy library, I've got over a terrabyte of music on the main PC and with that many songs loaded into a database library things tend to slow down and get laggy.

Now I've got Rockbox running on the iPod I don't use any software to transfer music onto the iPod, I created a new folder called Music on the iPod and simply copy and paste (or drag and drop) folders straight from the PC in artist/album/track# title format.

I can't stand the way iTunes scatters songs around the iPod hard drive so you're forced to use the database to find and play stuff, I want all files from an album together in the same folder so you don't have to keep rebuilding the database every time you put anything new on it.

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
I can't stand the way iTunes scatters songs around the iPod hard drive so you're forced to use the database to find and play stuff, I want all files from an album together in the same folder so you don't have to keep rebuilding the database every time you put anything new on it.
Helle-freakin'-luyah :thumbs:

21 - 40 of 64 Posts