1 - 20 of 64 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only did Safari get installed during the last
iTunes update. I've now found something
called "Bonjour".

Jobs! Stop default installing crap on my PC!
There's enough guff on there already without
your all your i******! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
called "Bonjour".
I'd say reading between the lines that Apple is gearing up to introduce some of it's zero config networking enabled gear to Windows Users.

Bonjour (formally Rendevous) is Apple's implementation of this

Zeroconf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nothing too nefarious just a competitor to APIPA. Something to do with wireless sync of iPhone maybe?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
I hate Apple. :rant: Only have an iPod as I won it in the Walkers crisp promotion a while back.

Recently changed my computer and so had to reload my iTunes. I had planned this and had everything on my external drive but the straight forward copy on to my new hard drive didn't work, no doubt something Apple had built into it to stop this working. Reloaded the iTunes software from the original ROM and found that all my music had gone from I had put in on the new hard drive and did not appear in iTunes ! :mad: Eventually found all the music in the Recycle Bin and managed, eventually, to stick it back where it belonged. ( This wasn't easy. )

However all I have now is one big list, the albums and artists boxes and lists have gone along with my playlists. Another gripe I have is why do the tracks appear in reverse order ? Why does the predictive text used when titling act like an idiot i.e. I'm titling tracks on a Dylan CD and when you type in the first " D " it will come up with Donovan from a previously titled CD. This I could live with on the first track but all the way through the CD ? Sure there are answers to this but can I be bothered ?

I have no wish to hijack this Thread and start an IBM/Mac debate but have to say when I worked in the Middle East had to use a Mac and hated it, especially the smoking " Terrorist " bomb on the top left which appeared when a glitch occurred, which wasn't unusual in the studio edit suite where everyman and his camel used it ! !

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
I also hate iTunes. I like to be able to access my music manually too, but when I installed iTunes on one of my computers the bloody thing moved all of my music into different, non-sensical, folders.
Apparently having them ordered by album doesn't make any sense to Apple.
One of the reasons why I preferred a Zen to an iPod.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well i love i-tunes. Never had any problems. :)

Much better that Sony's MP3 softwear,Sonicstage, which i could fathom out at all. :confused: Mind you that was a few years ago so it may have changed now.

:)

Nev, just remove Safari. No big deal.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sonicstage is clunky, but rips better MP3s.
The playlist generation (based on genre)
and the artist links are really cool.

;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
called "Bonjour".

Hear hear..... ! It just turned up on my desktop.........

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The main reason I have an Ipod is because it plugs straight into my Alpine headunit. I dont really like itunes either and use xplay to load up the music onto the ipod.

I did notice that "bonjour" thing on our family desktop and oddly since itunes was installed on that computer we've had all kinds of internet access problems with it

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
called "Bonjour".

Nev, dump the PC and get a Mac- embrace the world that is Apple :D :D :D

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Recently changed my computer and so had to reload my iTunes. I had planned this and had every...Eventually found all the music in the Recycle Bin and managed, eventually, to stick it back where it belonged. ( This wasn't easy. !
I don't want you to take this the wrong way but don't blame Apple for your ineptitude, files don't delete themselves and a migration of an iTunes library from one machine to another is simplicity itself when dealing with none DRM protected music.

If you have purchased music through iTunes the only caveat is that you need to deauthorise the old machine and authorise the new one to access the DRM protected music on the new system.

Over the past 4 years I've moved my iTunes library around 6 or 7 different machines without issue as it sat on a small NAS for a few years being acces by various Apple machines, now it sits on a Windows XP Pro box I use as a UPNP Media Server.

·
16,310 Posts
I don't want you to take this the wrong way but don't blame Apple for your ineptitude, files don't delete themselves and a migration of an iTunes library from one machine to another is simplicity itself when dealing with none DRM protected music.

If you have purchased music through iTunes the only caveat is that you need to deauthorise the old machine and authorise the new one to access the DRM protected music on the new system.

Over the past 4 years I've moved my iTunes library around 6 or 7 different machines without issue as it sat on a small NAS for a few years being acces by various Apple machines, now it sits on a Windows XP Pro box I use as a UPNP Media Server.
No offence taken but I still don't know why the CD ROM installation dumped all my files into the Recycle Bin and now instead of albums I have one huge long list of songs and that's it ! :confused: As far as my computer skills I would say that I'm probably a bit better than an average user but admit that I'm no expert and do get frustrated. To me a computer is like a screwdriver, a tool to be used to achieve something else, I'm not interested in playing around with the thing.

Pascs, that xplay idea sounds good, googled it and it can be had for about £15.00. Before I invest this huge amount of money :lol: would you care to elaborate ? Fer instance can it organize your files into albums/artists etc and can you create a playlist with it ? I think playlists are important as I soon tired of grappling with the iPod controls at xx mph an a country road at night ! :eek:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did like quite like apple, but I too am getting quite turned off by the more invasive itunes and installation processes. Had a hard drive failure a while back and did have a fair amount backed up, but ended up having to load all the music back in from the original CD's!!! As a consequence now have about half the music I had - not sure where the rest is!!! Would consider myself reasonably computer savy (diploma in programming)... Apple appears to be moving in the microsoft direction - less reliable and less good sensible practical solutions to basic computing...

·
16,310 Posts
I did like quite like apple, but I too am getting quite turned off by the more invasive itunes and installation processes. Had a hard drive failure a while back and did have a fair amount backed up, but ended up having to load all the music back in from the original CD's!!! As a consequence now have about half the music I had - not sure where the rest is!!! Would consider myself reasonably computer savy (diploma in programming)... Apple appears to be moving in the microsoft direction - less reliable and less good sensible practical solutions to basic computing...
:thumbs: Glad it's not just me that got it wrong. Not sure that I did but the result was the same. xplay info anyone ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I also hate iTunes. I like to be able to access my music manually too, but when I installed iTunes on one of my computers the bloody thing moved all of my music into different, non-sensical, folders.
Apparently having them ordered by album doesn't make any sense to Apple.
One of the reasons why I preferred a Zen to an iPod.
Me too. I got an iPod Shuffle as a freebie for joining Tesco DVD rental and naively assumed I could just use it with Media Player. Wrong! It seems you have to use iTunes. All my music is in my PC in WMA format and I like Media Player anyway so I'm not going to install iTunes and have it bugger up all my music and settings.

I'm sticking with my Creative MP3 Player too.

Anyone want an iPod Shuffle for £20?!!
Ian

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
I have never got the fad that is Ipods and mp3....

Downloading thousands of songs just for the sake of the odd tune you actually do like....:rolleyes:

Plus I worry about the medical implications of using such things...:(

I remember when walkmans first came out - and there was a lot of fuss - suggesting that continued use with things in your ear...caused phsycological problems - and if used at a young age...could cause the brain to under develop..

Perhaps I am just getting too old...and set in my ways...:confused:

Chris

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Perhaps I am just getting too old...and set in my ways...:confused:

Chris
Shut up, grandad ;)

I can't see why there would be medical issues. As you say, if there were, they would have been the same for walkmen, and nothing ever came of those scares.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Well thought I would catch up on some journo's and yes - it does seem that you can get mental problems from using ipods....

Explains a lot :eek: :eek:

Also it can cause sexual problems in men...(I guess my lack of such a device has meant I am keeping it real and at the same time keeping it hard:p )

But also we are in real danger of these things becoming self aware as we ever increase the technology boundaries....

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't iPods/MP3/Phones purchased in the EU
have the volume levels lower than those sold in other markets?

I original had MP3 players because of the longhaul
flights I used to have to do all the time.

iPod Touch was purchased for 2 reasons:

1) Video/Music on long haul flights.
2) Web access without having to lug a PC around.

:D

I don't really like the Apple brand. And Itunes
is actually a dire piece of software.
But the iPod Touch is a cracking video/webbrowser
even with it obvious failings. (No cut 'n' paste, WTF!?)

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Well thought I would catch up on some journo's and yes - it does seem that you can get mental problems from using ipods....
I think you might be reading the ravings of weird conspiracy-theorist journos.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts