Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car is haunted by the ghost of Joe Lucas (Prince of Darkness).

My sunroof doesn't work all the time. It'll open but then sometimes it won't close (typical it's not the other way round!).

I bought a new switch for it and that fixed the problem for a week. Now "Joe" is back.

Also, the speedo just stopped working when a mechanic took it out to listen to the dead gearbox. I took it out and it was fine. Then the next day I had to move it a small way and it's not working again.

While it's been sitting there for 7 days, waiting for his new gearbox to arrive from Italy (does no-one REALLY not recondition 155 V6 gearboxes in the UK?) "Joe" has been making the battery go flat.

It's only a month old but when I checked it, as you do, it was only reading 4V!

What do you reckon? Persevere, Crusher, or Exorcist?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Persevere!

Speedo may be knackered, Loose connections in the sunroof, whatever! Its worth hanging on...

Alternatively, drive past wrinxs house as his car seem to suck all of the electrical gremlins from the immediate area into itself!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor old beast has been to Jupiter and back, so I can't begrudge him a teeny bit of gearbox.

He'll have to wait a while longer for his new 17" wheels though...!

Has anyone heard of how an alternator problem can cause a flat battery (apart from just not charging it, obviously)?

My new battery (old one went terminally flat) was 12v for one week but then dropped down to 4v over the next week. I only started it once in between.

My bro' says a matey at his work reckons the alternator might be causing it but can't elaborate.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The voltage of your battery will drop if the car isn't run regularly. Even starting the car and letting it idle won't give the battery a proper charge. Current is being drawn from the battery all the time (clock, radio memory, alarm if fitted etc.)
My wifes Fiat goes flat after a week of sitting, but nothing is wrong with the car. My car is run every day so I don't know how long the battery charge will last.
Hope this is usefull

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you take off the +terminal on the battery and put an amp meter between the +terminal and the +lead it should read almost .0. the clock will us a bit if its a high reading you know something is using too much power.

·
Registered
550 Posts
AND I QUESTION, THE ALARM ISN´T A LARGE BATTERY CONSUMPTION ALSO ?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try that amp meter test - the battery went flat much too quickly to be caused by just sitting there (it dropped right down to 4 volts) and my car only has a teeny digital clock to run - that can't have drained the battery all on its own.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I've heard of knackered alternators draining batteries - something to do with the voltage regulator breaking down or something...

If you put an egg in the alternator, would it be whisked or scrambled? (see 'coolant loss' post! Sorry...)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI

I had the same problem with my sunroof after I had a guy fit an alarm, the speedo also was working/not working. He came back and couldn't find anything wrong, so he just pushed every single connector on the fuse box down and it has been fine since...

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts