Stainless front pipes
2 lower wishbones
2 lambdas

Thank you lloyds tsb :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:tut: it will drive perfect. Body still needs work;)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
ill paint it if you want? ive got some brushes in the shed :p

:lol:

what needs doing to body work then? i thought it was just the wing mirror surround?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed the mirror. Forgot to add that to the list :D

Both front wings are rusty. Front and rear bumpers are scraped and cracke a little and the side skirts are stone chipped infront of the rear wheels where they flare out. Its all small but just ruins the car when you get close up. Oh and one of the headlights has been pushed up slightly and doesn't sit quite right:lol:

S

·
0 Posts
Changed the mirror. Forgot to add that to the list :D

Both front wings are rusty. Front and rear bumpers are scraped and cracke a little and the side skirts are stone chipped infront of the rear wheels where they flare out. Its all small but just ruins the car when you get close up. Oh and one of the headlights has been pushed up slightly and doesn't sit quite right:lol:

Similar work without rear bumper or moving a headlight cost me £1450 recently.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'll do the headlight myself but I can't paint :lol:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Never add it up!!!

I have owned my GTA since July 2010 and it was in great condition when I bought it for £8250. There were only 2 good condition 156 GTAs for sale at the time and I wanted red so I flew up to Scotland and drove it back. It already had Q2, new clutch, 330s and Cambelt done twice in 46000 miles.

Anyways.... I have just done a rough adding up on excel and I have spent over £7500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I did have some engine problems which cost me a approx. 2k but £7500 :wow:!! I realy had no idea how much I was spending.

I am just about to spend another grand getting FSDs done which will take the total cost to over the purchase price. I am totally mad!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I paid £4850 for the car and will have spent about £5200 in parts and work
£260 in tax
and an extra something on insurance.

So we are looking at 6k +:eek: and mines an early 111,000 mile car :rolleyes:

I could have had a new kia picanto for that money :cheese:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I spent 18K not including the car in 3.5 years of ownership

·
Registered
37,745 Posts
Cheers Joss! :rolleyes:

I was thinking of getting a sportwagon - black one on e-bay that looked reasonably sorted - and you have now totally piddled on me chips and I now have nothing to look forward to. :(

*goes home to pot noodle for one and a sob into his pillow

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Joss! :rolleyes:

I was thinking of getting a sportwagon - black one on e-bay that looked reasonably sorted - and you have now totally piddled on me chips and I now have nothing to look forward to. :(

*goes home to pot noodle for one and a sob into his pillow
On a serious note K I have done a lot of work that was not really desparate and also replaced with expensive upgrades. I could have put a standard exhaust on it instead of the supersprint. I could have put cheaper tyres on it. It doesn't need a cambelt or the 3L gtv manafolds but as the engine is out for the clutch which to be fair is high but not slipping and will probably be fine for another year with my normal drivng it seems silly not to do it. The mirror worked and the sideskirt cover are cosmetic. The Q2 was a personal choice and the lower wishbones are fine but just beginning to get tired and I hate tired handling. Drop lnks were tired to but nothing was knocking.

If I' wanted to be a miser when I bought the car I could have just done what was needed it would be a list like this.

standard backbox
polyflexed the role bar
1 drop link.
3 tyres
service
camcover gaskets.
cv boots
insurance
6 months tax
Cost about £2000

So the car was 4850 +2000

so 6850 for the car which now I think about it is not that great a deal! :lol:

Get the GTA

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is always worth it when you get in and drive away! I am getting mine ready for Nurburg in a couple of weeks and, after a long lay up, have spent just shy of £10K:eek: making it damn good and ready. This has included a gearbox refurb and it is currently with Autdelta finally having [the larger] supercharger fitted.:):)

·
Registered
332 Posts
cheers guys! This thread has made me feel a little better! I keep a google spreadsheet with all my costs (including car costs).
Ok not a GTA but my GTV 3L V6 has cost me in excess of £3500 (Excluding insurance) and still does not run AND will still need:
1. almost every bush (except the rear springpan ones which were done for the MOT)
2. manifolds as current ones are blowing
3. suspensions all round
4. manifold gaksets and bolts (@ 6.50+VAT each + 80p per bolt + 40 per washer)
5. full brembo refurb (part way into that)
6. new rear section exhaust
7. New coils
8. Injectors cleaning
9. ECU re-learning the keys.
10. New MAF (most probably)
11. All-round discs and pads
12. De-rusting anti-roll bar (or alfaholics handling kit)
13. full body respray
14. alloy wheel refurbishment.

needless to say, I'm not keeping up with my spreadsheet anymore....it's too depressing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Awesome!!!!! how long does it take them to fit?
taking a couple of weeks as he does quite a lot of set up and testing, and he is a little under it at the moment becuase of holidays. I think when they are up to speed it only takes about a week. Can't wait to get it back, i shall post when i do

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have spent very little since i owned the car (6 months),
but i bought a fully sorted one (Q2, Clutch, FSD, eibachs etc),
I obviously paid a bit more for the car, but looking at all these posts, i actually did ok!

anyway, just saving for a few more bits and bobs....seems the want for extra bits and bobs does not end!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts