Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all. Gonna be changing the coolant on my 147 at the weekend. It all looks fairly straightforward apart from bleeding it afterwards. Cant find any sort of bleed cap anywhere! Can anyone help? Would be very very much appreciated, got to get it done soon as the coolant looks filthy and wont be doin the waterpump much good!
Cheers, Dave.:)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The engine self bleeds as it runs.

When you are filling the coolant back up, it is always a good idea to give all the coolant pipes a squeeze to get out most of the air.

So, top up, squish pipes, run engine (keeping an eye on the coolant level), engine off and let cool then top up.

Keep an eye on it for the next few journeys as it will continue to self bleed and in case you have a leak.

Always measure coolant level when engine cold and with cap removed.

There is a guide here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engines-ts-jts-jtd-and-v6/112935-how-to-change-a-thermostat-on-a-twinspark.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats spot on, thanks very much for the helpfull reply. Can i just ask, is it red/pink or blue grade anti-freeze thats needed? Cheers :)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It's half ethylene glycol based antifreeze and half water.
I think one colour is an uprated version of the other. I can't quite remember which is which..........:confused:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If you are replacing the coolant, go for the latest spec red stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
on the 147 there is a bleed screw on the top pipe that goes into the bulk head to the heater matrix, as you look at the throttle body look straight down and you will see it. a note of caution they can sometimes go very tight so be carefull not to damage the pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts