Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My EML came on, it showed fault code P0401 (EGR), so I blanked off the EGR, all was fine until the EML came on again a day later showing code P0236 (Turbo Boost Sensor) so I took it off and it was caked in black crud so I cleaned it off and reset the EM, the car again drove fine for an hour but now the EML is now back on, the car is running fine with no loss of power.

Any ideas, I am losing the will? (I will post the new fault code later)

·
Registered
866 Posts
If Seismic's experience (Gt JTD with V6 mpg) is typical, you will lose a lot of mpg if you ignor the light.

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
My EML came on, it showed fault code P0401 (EGR), so I blanked off the EGR, all was fine until the EML came on again a day later showing code P0236 (Turbo Boost Sensor) so I took it off and it was caked in black crud so I cleaned it off and reset the EM, the car again drove fine for an hour but now the EML is now back on, the car is running fine with no loss of power.

Any ideas, I am losing the will? (I will post the new fault code later)
You need the map the EGR delete out of the ECU properly or it will not run right and you will have light on and you run the risk of the exhaust gasses blowing a hole in you blank and spitting metal bits in to the engine

You can send us your ECU and we can delete it for you

Your car wouldn't happen to be a KX registration would it???

Ned

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Autolusso, my reg is FY55.

The latest fault code is P1238, so all EGR/Air Flow related.

My friend in the RAC deleted all fault codes, I am going to follow the ECU reset instructions and see how I go, if the EML comes on again I will just replace the EGR and Turbo Sensor.

I also work close to Mangoletsi in Knutsford so I am going to take the car there next week.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

My friend in the RAC deleted all fault codes, I am going to follow the ECU reset instructions and see how I go, if the EML comes on again I will just replace the EGR and Turbo Sensor.

I also work close to Mangoletsi in Knutsford so I am going to take the car there next week.
The fault code is because there's no flow coming from the EGR valve (because you've blanked it!). The reason the codes were able to be cleared is because the EGR only opens at certain times, it's only at that point that the ECU will discover there's a fault, so at idle or on short journey's the EGR won't be commanded to open, so there (theoretically) isn't a fault if that makes sense. This is why you need to have the EGR valve deleted from the ECU map or it will keep coming back.

Good luck with Mangoletsi....you'll need it!

·
Registered
862 Posts
The fault code is because there's no flow coming from the EGR valve (because you've blanked it!). The reason the codes were able to be cleared is because the EGR only opens at certain times, it's only at that point that the ECU will discover there's a fault, so at idle or on short journey's the EGR won't be commanded to open, so there (theoretically) isn't a fault if that makes sense. This is why you need to have the EGR valve deleted from the ECU map or it will keep coming back.

Good luck with Mangoletsi....you'll need it!
Exactly as he says ! :thumbs: Learnt from experience .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, thank you for your continued help.

All the reports/threads show that blanking the EGR is beneficial so I will keep it blanked, the Turbo Sensor has been cleaned, EML is off, so just need to get the EGR valve deleted from the ECU map.

Is £150 about standard for a local garage to carry out this procedure?

·
Registered
862 Posts

All the reports/threads show that blanking the EGR is beneficial so I will keep it blanked, the Turbo Sensor has been cleaned, EML is off, so just need to get the EGR valve deleted from the ECU map.

Really the amount of work to be done with EGR delete is pretty much same as a remap . So the price will be along those lines , I don't think it would be quite as cheap as £150 .

If you haven't had the car remapped already now would be a good time to get that done as you will only pay the price for the remap and get the EGR delete done with this . Sadly when I had my GT remapped there wasn't the option for EGR work so I have a drilled blanking plate !
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

Autolusso charge £150 for an EGR delete. They're about the best in the business too...

G

·

You can do ECU resets till the cows come home you will still get the EML error up.

Mangoletsi.......ok hope that goes well for you.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
So, blanking plate or no blanking plate, that is the question?

Pro's & Con's please
Blanking plate with a proper ECU remap.

Pro's:

1. Better fuel economy.
2. Better throttle response.
3. Cleaner intake manifold.
4. No sooting/gunking of the MAP sensor, or swirl flaps.
5. Lower soot/particulates in exhaust system

Con's:

1. Costs money to get it done properly.
2. Higher NOx emissions (not measured in MOT so it won't cause issues here... Just your own conscience to deal with..)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts