Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friday of last week when restarted the car after refuelling (in middle of a 500 mile journey), the electronic display between the two main dials didn't light up i.e. it remained blank and stayed that way for the next two days. Then on Sunday, when I started up, the display flashed on twice (briefly) in the course of about 10 seconds then maybe 30 seconds later, came on just like normal.
The car had been started maybe 10 times or so during the period of non-display, but anyway, since it came on again, is now perfectly normal, it's not intermittent and it gave every impression of having done some kind of software reset.
The dealer wants to replace the item under warranty but I am not at all persuaded that it is a hardware fault and I don't want them dismantling the instrument panel unnecessarily.
Car is 14 months old at 9,500 miles.

Does anyone recognise this 'temporary blank display' phenomenon?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Not this exactly, but my main infotainment screen was blank for a whole journey on Saturday, then worked as normal the next time I started the car, with no problem since.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year 2020 Winner
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yep. Same thing. As Metalgod mentioned: replaced under warranty. It had about 15,000 miles I think.

I wouldn't fight a replacement if I were you. What's the point? Nowadays there is so much electronic that noone knows how to fix those issues anymore.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had this problem lost all infotainment was ok on cold start and as the car warmed it went off, I lost the visual and sound of the indicators which proved dangerous
Had the car recovered and the dealer put the fault down to a loose connection from the battery
All fine now and no issues, simple fix in the end

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had this problem lost all infotainment was ok on cold start and as the car warmed it went off, I lost the visual and sound of the indicators which proved dangerous
Had the car recovered and the dealer put the fault down to a loose connection from the battery
All fine now and no issues, simple fix in the end
I have previously read about the display issues mentioned above - thanks guys - but:

To be clear, the infotainment display was not affected, just the e-display between the two main dials. It wasn't temp. dependent and it's not intermittent. It just went off for two days, then immediately following a cold start, it flashed twice a few seconds apart then maybe 30 seconds later came on normally and has been that way ever since, just like it had done a software reset.
I appreciate that it's difficult to distinguish between hardware faults and s/w 'foibles' these days but truly, I'm not yet persuaded that there is a hardware fault.

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
I have previously read about the display issues mentioned above - thanks guys - but:

To be clear, the infotainment display was not affected, just the e-display between the two main dials. It wasn't temp. dependent and it's not intermittent. It just went off for two days, then immediately following a cold start, it flashed twice a few seconds apart then maybe 30 seconds later came on normally and has been that way ever since, just like it had done a software reset.
I appreciate that it's difficult to distinguish between hardware faults and s/w 'foibles' these days but truly, I'm not yet persuaded that there is a hardware fault.
Symptoms actually look more like a loose/intermittent power connection to the display(controller), however, who knows ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts