Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow Alfa owner told me a few days ago he'd heard that Blackburn Alfa had closed, and a Google search seems to confirm this.
Anyone know the story?
I thought Alfa were supposed to be expanding their dealer network now that more models have been added.
Maybe Preston will get one back to replace the one we lost.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Never been since I picked up the G back in 2014.
Nearest others are Bolton and Preston I think.
Plenty of indies around but I guess those with warranty will have more of a trek.
Not heard why. The staff will be on non-disclosure agreements I’m sure.
Nothing on the cambria autos press release page.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My parents got their Giulietta from there back in 2013 (long gone) and said they were hopeless, so no surprise they've shut.

Definitely no agent in Preston. For a while the Fiat dealer acted as an authorised Alfa agent for servicing and warranties, but they stopped that about 5 years ago IIRC.

Apart from a little bit of warranty work (leaking roof) on the Spider back in the day, I've always used my local mechanic in Goosnargh. Someone I can trust to do a good job and who won't rip me off.
I'd consider buying a used Alfa from a main dealer again though, but not Mangoletsi.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I usually go to Autolusso Penrith for big stuff. Had timing belt and leaky rocker gasket done there. Bit of a trek but I support a site in Middlesbrough so normally take one of their JTD engines cars out for run!

Simple stuff like brakes, pads, tyres, oil and filter one of two Bolton indies.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that Nick.
Amazed it was as long ago as June!

According to https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk/find-a-retailer, my nearest dealer is the dreaded Mangoletsi (61 miles away) closely followed by Chester (65).
It'd make sense to have an AR dealer in Preston, just about everyone else is already here.
Even Porsche are in the process of building a huge brand new dealership.

Reactions: Nickhoughton567

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree Lussoman. There isn't an Alfa dealer in Lancashire / Manchester / Cumbria (Lloyds of Carlisle went a couple of years ago, as did Bauer Millet on Deansgate M'cr) which I too find incredible. It's a very populous catchment area with lots of big towns / cities. There certainly seems to be a lot more concentrated in the South. I guess Alfa UK have done their Excel spreadsheets & found low sales in our patch hence not bothering???? So if we want an Alfa we have to go to Mango's Knutsford or Piccadilly in Harrogate for the nearest dealers.

I remember taking my old Sud Sprint to Cubleys of Ainsdale back in the v early 90's. And I went to one in Kirkby Lonsdale then as well (Hartley's??) who were good to me - they felt so sorry for the grief (and cost....) my Sprint was giving me as a young lad the Manager there gave me a lovely glossy brochure & showroom poster of the SZ, I've still got both. Can't imagine you'd get that sort of personal touch in corporate car dealer world today - there's a cost involved with it!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I’m just looking at a PCH deal from Mango’s - 24 months.

2.2d Stelvio 180 Speciale.

£2995 down, £299 a month. Only 5000 miles a year, though.
So with 10000 extra miles it works out to be £484 a month.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if we want an Alfa we have to go to Mango's Knutsford or Piccadilly in Harrogate for the nearest dealers.
The Alfa find-a-dealer website doesn't list Harrogate as a dealer. But looking at the Piccadilly website it suggests they are. Things like this can't be good for potential new customers.

The lack of dealers in the north west does explain why there seems to be so few new models about. I've only ever seen one Stelvio, and that was on holiday in Madeira! I've seen around 4 or 5 Giulias in Lancashire, but that's since 2016!
Anyone in the Preston area would be put off buying one when they find out it's more than 60 miles to the nearest dealer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've seen around 4 or 5 Giulias in Lancashire, but that's since 2016!
Anyone in the Preston area would be put off buying one when they find out it's more than 60 miles to the nearest dealer.
.... I've seen more new Maserati Ghibli's than new Alfa Giulia's around here. Seriously:paranoid: . Maybe that's because there's a v local Maserati dealer just down the road from BAE Systems, Salmesbury.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
The Alfa find-a-dealer website doesn't list Harrogate as a dealer. But looking at the Piccadilly website it suggests they are. Things like this can't be good for potential new customers.

The lack of dealers in the north west does explain why there seems to be so few new models about. I've only ever seen one Stelvio, and that was on holiday in Madeira! I've seen around 4 or 5 Giulias in Lancashire, but that's since 2016!
I must admit, this was a concern for me too but I still ordered a Veloce. The prospect of flogging over to Harrogate if it needs servicing, or fixing, almost put me off. Like you, I don't want to use Mango's and from north Manchester it's very nearly as far anyway.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.... I've seen more new Maserati Ghibli's than new Alfa Giulia's around here. Seriously:paranoid: . Maybe that's because there's a v local Maserati dealer just down the road from BAE Systems, Salmesbury.
Yes, same here with the Ghibli. A friend has just got one as well, sadly a diesel, but easily the best sounding diesel I've ever heard.
I always slow down when passing Bowkers at Samlesbury. Love Maserati, but the running costs scare the life out of me!

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must admit, this was a concern for me too but I still ordered a Veloce. The prospect of flogging over to Harrogate if it needs servicing, or fixing, almost put me off. Like you, I don't want to use Mango's and from north Manchester it's very nearly as far anyway.
You're clearly a true Alfisti Jim! :thumbs:

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,447 Posts

It appears Piccadilly are are being/have been dropped as well

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It appears Piccadilly are are being/have been dropped as well
I think there is a dealer in Chester and the Stoneacre Fiat/Abarth garage near Toxteth does after sales stuff. I’ve considered the one in scouseland as it’s closer to where I work and don’t need to use the M6.

However, these aren’t of massive use to the folk living in most parts of Manchester.

Not sure how Alfa expects to sell cars in any numbers when dealers are so rare and you have to travel miles to get it serviced.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
I think there is a dealer in Chester and the Stoneacre Fiat/Abarth garage near Toxteth does after sales stuff. I’ve considered the one in scouseland as it’s closer to where I work and don’t need to use the M6.

However, these aren’t of massive use to the folk living in most parts of Manchester.

Not sure how Alfa expects to sell cars in any numbers when dealers are so rare and you have to travel miles to get it serviced.
Stoneacre’s is less than a mile from me, I use it for technical info and the chief mechanic is usually helpful

1 - 16 of 16 Posts