By tom_shackson at 2011-10-07
as you can see it needs some love with the welder but ive fixed worse

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heres a photo of it polished

today i started reconditioning the fuel system, removed the lines and tank ive cleaned and painted the tank and straps, im not too sure what to do with the lines i would like to replace them because of all the sludge in the tank but i might just blow the air line through them and paint them.
are braided lines available for these or would i have to make them?
tank before

after

straps

By
tom_shackson at 2011-10-07
no wonder the idle wasnt great this is the fuel that was in the tank

while the paint was drying i got started on the drivers door rust

i should have that welded in tomorrow with a bit of luck

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Is this the one you got for £561 Tom?
Looked at the first few pics and Thought I paid too much for mine (£1200) but the more pics I saw the better I felt:lol:
Mine has been "done" some time ago but is just starting to show in the "normal" places:cry:,
like the silicon on the back windows - if only this was done at the factory it would of saved a lot of sprints:thumbs:
Look forward to seeing the restore
Good luck Oui

K

·
0 Posts
looked pretty good to start with with has a few issues to sort, glad to see you're on top of it all straight away and full of enthusiasm :cool:

another good thread to follow and gain encouragement from :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
car

tom it dosent look that bad and you got it for a reasonable price mate .
If you wawnt some inspiration of how it can be done ask kev to add a link to his sud restoration as he done a top job on his old sud and everyone on here will help with advice if you get stuck :thumbs:.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great to see a Sprint restoration project - good luck with it, it doesn't look too bad.. I still miss my 1988 Sprint QV, should never have sold her... if anyone knows the whereabouts of E623 GGM - looks like she went off the road not long after I sold her about 10 years ago... Anyway, once you've sorted it, you'll have a grand car - still one of my favourite Alfas.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys i appreciate the enthusiasm it should be a great help
oui - it was £500 i agreed on but it owes more like £600 with fuel and the toll
alfa six nut- im hoping to have it done by the spring so i can enjoy it in the few sunny days we have here in wales

todays progress
welded drivers door

By tom_shackson at 2011-10-08

general tidying on the underside ready for the fuel tank to be refitted

before

after

rear suspention

day off tommorow as im going to the malvern classic car show

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
hi guys i appreciate the enthusiasm it should be a great help
oui - it was £500 i agreed on but it owes more like £600 with fuel and the toll

Don't take that the wrong way Tom, I was VERY jealous when I saw the pics on what a BARGIAN you got yourself:thumbs:
I bought my sud for £750 and had to pay £170 to get it trailered back to my home:cry:
where it has stayed for 8 months in my mother in laws garage with hardly anything done to her:cry:
Still at least shes nice and dry:cool:
Nearly done 1800 miles in the sprint, MOT runs out end of next month so out will come the 156SW. Will see what the sprint might fail her MOT on next year.
Good pics so far - keep em comming:thumbs:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think the way suds are goin they are going to be so rare in a few years values, are going to go through the roof, so nows the time to get em, while you can still get the for less than a grand

P

·
0 Posts
thats the reason i haven't got one!

its either buy something done, £4k+, or buy a shed and do it by pouring £3K+ into it!

anyone who has one worth saving, Sud, Sprint, 33, 75, etc etc ought to make the best of it, or shame on you! ha ha!

i for one am glad to see another decent road Sprint resto thread, i think the sprints are Fab,

I think i saw at this one myself when for sale, but too many toys and projects on the go myself to be brave enough to buy it, so well done Tom, and all power to you, best of luck with it.

i watch this thread with interest, make it nice!

cheers

shrew

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Good job on spending your time on this Sprint mate :thumbs:

I have to be honest with you, that door looked scary to begin with ! :eek: I would be looking for another door if I were you, but by the later pictures, you took care of it :)

how are the vertical pilars where the door hindges are ? That is one of the most problematic areas on the Sprint as they tend to rust A LOT ! Especially behind the front wings !

Keep up the good work mate :thumbs:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had a look up under the front wheelarches and i can see that they have rusted through but they dont look as bad as on some of the sprints ive seen,
Il only know for sure when i take the wings off, but that can wait until ive shortened my list drastically

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
todays progress
boot aperture before

after

By tom_shackson at 2011-10-10

also gave the exhaust a rub down and a lick of high heat paint
before

after

anyone know the cheapest place to get braided fuel lines? or replacement original ones, mine dont leak but theyre getting a bit thin in places

P

·
0 Posts
if you cant buy a kit, i.e. goodridge, venhill, etc etc, you can buy all the components individually from all over the place, but certainly ebay if you want an easy place to see good pictures and descriptions of what your components are.

the only difference with the self build is they will be an olive type compression joint onto the braided line, and not a factory pressed joint, however, the advantage to that is that you can build them with the exact route, length, and kink and angle that suits the application perfectly, whereas a premade kit, you often have to attach the body end and then prespin the caliper mount end several laps so that it sits in a reasonable route ince tightened up, because the unions don't have a spinning lock up.

bad description but do you get what i mean?

I bought a goodridge premade kit for my 155, mainly because it brand new in the packet and unused, and a snip at the winning bid on ebay, BUT, although it was the exact kit for my exact car, it wasn't perfect, in fact i had to shave off a proud lead in edge off every caliper end union, otherwise they would bottom out far before sealing and locking up,

not the best eh?

i'm used to making them up, from my time working on superbikes, and because of the fork compression we always found that a custom built set up was far better, with the proper length lines routed and angled appropriately, not chaffing on the forks or mudguard.

so custom fit all the way for me fella.

i think the original rubber lines are still available too, and would still be a vast improvement on elderley lines due to not balooning under pressure, i just cant remember where ive seen them, soz!

cheers

shrew

ps - top work going into this, well done again, she'll be a cracker by the looks of it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Top job Tom:thumbs:
Do you do all this at night? if so you'll have her on the road well before the end of the month:cool:
Will be interested to hear about the fuel lines (for my sprint & sud)

P

·
0 Posts
my apologies all, i'm scan reading to my detrement, i could have swore you'd wrote brake lines not fuel lines, Ha Ha!!

please ignore my previous jibberish!

shrew

i think i'll go to bed now.....

K

·
0 Posts
my apologies all, i'm scan reading to my detrement, i could have swore you'd wrote brake lines not fuel lines, Ha Ha!!

please ignore my previous jibberish!

shrew

i think i'll go to bed now.....
jibber jibber :lol:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers guys
curiosity got the better of me today and i had to remove the front wings to see the damage, it wasn't as bad as i thought just a few repair panels, i got the drivers side repaired today and stripped the car of the interior and all of the panels i didn't have chance to get photos

1 - 20 of 79 Posts