Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've noticed black smoke from my mjet when under load need to check a few things to narrow down what it could be but if it's a turbo I will just replace with cheap replacement but unfortunately time is not right for me financial to go whole hog which is my plan so as a plan B what turbo could I go for which would be direct bolt on and not costing the earth and giving me a bit more power mines the 140 bhp mjet

·
Registered
32 Posts
So lately I've noticed black smoke from my mjet when under load need to check a few things to narrow down what it could be but if it's a turbo I will just replace with cheap replacement but unfortunately time is not right for me financial to go whole hog which is my plan so as a plan B what turbo could I go for which would be direct bolt on and not costing the earth and giving me a bit more power mines the 140 bhp mjet
I'd start by checking the lower boost hose as they are prone to fail, also if you can scan the car and see if you have any codes present and go from there.

Andy :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would check for leaks in the induction pipework and check for a clogged air filter first before worrying about the turbo...
I'd start by checking the lower boost hose as they are prone to fail, also if you can scan the car and see if you have any codes present and go from there.

Andy

Checked for codes already nothing has come up apart from faulty clutch switch

Yes my intention are checking air filter and intercooler and turbo pipes for leaks

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Inlet manifold could also be full of crud, causing the engine to not be able to take in as much air per cycle as it should.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inlet manifold could also be full of crud, causing the engine to not be able to take in as much air per cycle as it should.
MAF and MAP sensors could also be suspect.

(Ain't diesels great?
)
It could also just need a good blast after having been pootled around on a light "throttle".

Am I right in thinking the inlet needs to be removed when cambelt is done?

MAF sensor seems fine just cleaned it map sensor could do with a clean but may just buy new as they get brittle

I drive my car quite hard now and then

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Vacuum hoses to the pitch control for the turbo vanes. Loads of threads on here. Probably the most common fault on the jtdm. Doesn't give any fault codes. Gives a slow throttle response low down and lots of smoke. It is a very cheap and easy fix so worth doing even if the pipes look ok.

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Am I right in thinking the inlet needs to be removed when cambelt is done?

MAF sensor seems fine just cleaned it map sensor could do with a clean but may just buy new as they get brittle

I drive my car quite hard now and then
No, the inlet manifold doesn't need to be removed to do the cambelt.

If you wanted to remove the inlet manifold, doing it at the same time as a cambelt change would save you a bit of labour compared to doing both jobs individually but other than that they are unrelated.

Unless the engine had an EGR delete when it was brand new, to some extent the inlet manifold will be clogged up now with the oil/soot mix aka the black death. A little bit of clogging won't cause errors but if things are well clogged up then it will cause running issues like the ones mentioned.

I don't think driving it hard will clear it out at all, my karcher pressure washer doesn't get it all off at point blank range, sometimes I have to resort to scraping the rest of it off.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My car drives fine with no noise that I've noticed change and power is plentiful I'm going check air filter and check jubilee clip on intercooler pipes and turbo

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vacuum hoses to the pitch control for the turbo vanes. Loads of threads on here. Probably the most common fault on the jtdm. Doesn't give any fault codes. Gives a slow throttle response low down and lots of smoke. It is a very cheap and easy fix so worth doing even if the pipes look ok.

Did a search for this couldn't find anything

1 - 14 of 14 Posts