Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm experiencing black smoke when I give it some welly
In my 2.4 diesel 159 with DPF removed and remapped. Is this normal? A fairly large cloud of smoke comes out and it looks like something James Bond would use to blind villains.

Cheers.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Get some Archoil 6200 concentrate in your tank!

This is no snake oil...amazing results on diesel engines. Do some research on the product.

However, prior to use it would be worth just making sure you have no fundamental underlying issue with the fueling of your diesel (egr, injectors. Manifold gunked up etc..)

Good luck.

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In my 2.4 diesel 159 with DPF removed and remapped. Is this normal? A fairly large cloud of smoke comes out and it looks like something James Bond would use to blind villains.

Cheers.
I noticed mine was very smokey until I had a service/oil change. I think the latter made a big difference.

It always seemed a bit better too when I was running some kind of additive like millers.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Cheers.
I'd say that was normal. It usually emits the full James Bond when you open the taps after a period of gentle running. Once you've cleaned it out with some Italian tuning, it's fine until the next time you drive it around slowly.

AHM F1 Map + DPF Delete.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not had this done myself, but from reading threads on here for the last 12 months I'd blame the map.

It seems quite common that a remapped 159 will smoke, the amount depends on who you got to do the map.

The only maps that I've not read any smoking issues threads are the ones done by Gus at Alfatune and he seems to spend a lot of time making sure there are no underlying issues with the car first and then tailors the map to suit the charactaristics of your particular car.

The general concensus seems to be you pays your money, you takes your choice.

I'll gladly swap you your smoking 2.4 for my recently had everything replaced 1.9 (It should be smoke free by this time tomorrow)

:)

Axe.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Mine does not smoke, but mine was done by Gus

I did have issues originally but my inlet manifold was bojacked as the swirl flaps were leaking like a sieve, fitted a new inlet which solved the issue.

Check the swirl flap operation

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My first 159 (2007 1.9jtdm) was mapped by Angel, no smoke whatsoever. At any point.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not had this done myself, but from reading threads on here for the last 12 months I'd blame the map.

The only maps that I've not read any smoking issues threads are the ones done by Gus at Alfatune
My map and dpf removal at AHM is the same that Gus does at Alfatune.

If you remove the device that stops a diesel from smoking (dpf) and then increase the power (map) then you should expect some increase in smoke output. It's only under hard acceleration so not a major issue.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your contributions. Some good tips there. I had the map done by pro Alfa in Watford. The map is ok but it was quicker with a previous map I had done prior to the DPF removal with a tuner in Bexley.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Mine was done by AHM too. Adie said he could turn the map down if I wanted less smoke.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, I actually have the same issue. I've got my 159 2.4 remapped with the dpf removed etc. Been 6 months now and every time I put my foot down, my word it's embarrassing but yes bags of black smoke comes out. Thought this was normal

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Mine used to smoke under full power runs, but since I have used Diesel Rhino in every fill up for the last 6 months or so, it never smokes under any condition.
Cheers. I'm using diesel rhino now and it seems much better. It appears to drive better too.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've drilled out my DPF and occasionally, if giving it the beans from a stand-still, it bellows out some smoke. Not every time. I guess this is what the DPF is trying to prevent under normal circumstances but, as a result, becomes blocked and stifles the flow of the exhaust. The only thing I will say (touching many pieces of wood) is that the dreaded engine management light hasn't made an unwelcome appearance. A cheap fix (for now!).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts