Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all!

Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the black fabric electrical tape used all over the engine bay. My tape has self destructed, and I have replaced it with high temperature electrical PVC tape, but it doesn't look in keeping with the engine (it actually looks like someone has been messing with the wiring....).

Any help much appreciated!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Widely used for hockey stick blades in the part of the world where I live. Try a sports shop! ;)
I really doubt if that's the same material. Wouldnt hurt to use the electrical insulation tape on a stick i guess but i would not use tape made for extra grip and its ability to absorb sweat, on electrical wiring...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I really doubt if that's the same material. Wouldnt hurt to use the electrical insulation tape on a stick i guess but i would not use tape made for extra grip and its ability to absorb sweat, on electrical wiring...
When I was in the age of using hockey sticks the tape used on the sticks was what electricians used before there was PVC insulation tape: tar impregnated cotton ribbon. You even bought it in the hardware store.

Anyway, the tape only holds the cables together. There's no insulation function of the tape, that is taken care by the cable insulation, so as long as it keeps the cables together you'll be fine.

Personally I cant understand why modern car and bike manufacturers (Ducatis still uses the same tape on new bikes) use this sticky crap, when there are far better alternatives (PVC tubing, PVC tape, shrink tubes etc). Cost saving is the only thing I can think of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts