Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this disappeared? Needing 2 tyres and was shopping around they had a good buy on Kumho Ecsta which tempted me. Is it defunct with the takeover of AO?:confused:

Also was offered a pair of Event tyres today for £60 a pop but walked as I know nothing about them. Anyone had any experience of them?? In short I won't put any old cheap ****e on but am not prepared to pay premium prices either. I do 14-15K a year and look for something grippy, quiet and reasonably hard wearing.

In the past I have had Yokohamas, Falkens, some Hankooks too plus the present Kumhos on the rear. All have been good tyres. At the moment I have Accelera on the front and they have been fine but find them a bit noisy so won't go there again. They are brilliant if your driving is mainly urban with the odd trip, but while OK I'm looking for something more . . . . .

Heard OK things too about Marshall, Cooper and Nexen. Was going to try one of these brands but thought I'd ask the captains of the good ship AO a question that has been asked many times and that a thorough thread search has not clarified for me alas . . . .

Oh Car is a GT JTDm, tyre 215/45 17". Decided against going 225/45 . . . .

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I had Events fitted to the BM when I bought it, they were ok when it was dry, but my goodness they were unbelivable in the wet - I mean dangerously bad. Understeer and oversteer in the same corner - at 20 mph! :eek: Even my Wife who drives fairly sedately was having the car sliding just nipping to the corner shop.
Consiquently before we had a major "Event" with them, i binned them and fitted the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's - they were fairly pricey, but it has transformed the way my car drives. Not only has all the sliding stopped (unless deliberately provoked :p) but the ride is much more composed and it has stopped wandering on the motorway - I actually thought it was worn suspension causing that.
I can't reccomend the Goodyears highly enough, but if they are out of your budget don't even think about the Events!

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Event tyres are better than Wanli's.

I had events on the front of my GTV when I bought it and Wanli on the back. I swapped them around, and the lack of grip followed the wanli's to the front.

On a seperate note, I was very tempted to bid on a 145 Cloverleaf on ebay yeasterday as the listing was near its end.

The advert said the car had 4 new tyres 4 months ago. On the pictures I could see that they were Wanli's :tut:

I therefore treated the car as needing 4 new tyres, as no way would I risk driving my family around in a car with those fitted.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not putting Events on - too risky and an unknown quantity. The Acceleras have been OK but when pushing on a bit (as I can be prone to do . . .) they are a bit more understeer prone. FOr more sedate/town driving they are great though. No going to get either Kumho, Matadors or Yoko - something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Yes any deals we used to get are now defunct with the new managment

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts
Yes any deals we used to get are now defunct since before the new managment took over

Edited for accuracy again ;)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I love my Kumhos. Going for another new pair on the front shortly :thumbs:

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Has anyone noticed the massive increase in tyre prices in the last 12 months?

A year ago I bought a pair of Falken ZE-912 for the back of my Beemer for £86 each. Now they are around £100 each.

Luckily they appear to be wearing quite well, but even common sizes such as 205/55 R16 are getting silly expensive even for mid range tyres.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Oil price up, tyre price up. I noticed the difference too Sy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts