Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( just wondered what the black can bit does. The bit thats mounted at the rear of the engine (top left hand edge) It has 3 hose outlets top hose goes to manifold one goes lower down and one dissapears downwards somewhere. It will probly be obvious when I know but it aint clicked with me yet.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
That is probably the charcoal canister.
It absorbs Petrol vapour from the tank and a valve lets it into the inlet under control of the ECU.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Never looked on a GTV, but the description is about right for one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant see how that works but you're probably right...........wonder what the one in the boot does then ?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Its the crankcase breather seperator/catch can. Ideally it should be removed every so often and flsuhed out to remove all the crud that accumaltes

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Well, undo hoses, remove and wash out the oil smeg that has accumalated (sp?) - with meths or petrol or degreaser. put back on.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aha found it ....................... fuel vapour recovery system.........thats two more bits of the car i can identify now then :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The charcoal canister also captures vapour from the induction system. It's one of the wonderful 156 features that I wish my old Uno Turbo had - it's parked in the part-of-the-house garage, it's Ok when it hasn't been driven for a month or so, but within that time the fuel rail slowly evaporates into the air and into the house...

Good to know I can park my Spider indoors ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a bit complicated these 916's aint they.............well for a simple man like meself anyway :eek:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
My carbon canisters gone :lol: I needed to take it's space for other stuff :lol:
Won't want yours parked in my garage then! :lol: mmmm 260bhp...

-Alex

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
am I to assume you dont need one then if you're a petrol head :lol:..........no offence 916.anyway while were on the weird and wonderful where can I get a dust cap thingy for the end of me fuel rail and what does that fitting do anyway?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My carbon canisters gone :lol: I needed to take it's space for other stuff :lol:
I removed mine and blanked off the tube but the fuel tank made some horrible bending noises when pressure was equalised. I was thinking of putting in a small relief valve... Did you do anything like this 916?

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I kept the catch tank which is the black box on the right and took the vent from the carbon cannister and fitted it to it :)

The vent goes out the bottom left of the boot and the catch tank only has 1 port on the top so no chance to get it wrong :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
when we're talking charcoal and carbon cannisters do these items need replacing at some point or do you just clean them as suggested earlier.?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
when we're talking charcoal and carbon cannisters do these items need replacing at some point or do you just clean them as suggested earlier.?
You don't clean them at all, you just leave them alone.

The cleaning mentioned earlier was for the oil seperator on the crankcase breather.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
right ! thank you david c I'm sure someone said the cannister in engine was a charcoal one but mabey I got that wrong :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts