Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
I've fallen in love in the GT.
Now my ban is over and pennies saved up, I'm zeroing in on a Blackline or a Cloverleaf.
To my totally untrained eye I'm struggling to see the difference apart from the alloys and some red stitching.
Am I missing something blatantly obvious that is staring me in the face?
What should I be checking when viewing?
Many thanks.
Simon.
Sorry should have said it's got to be petrol and the 2L.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
OK,

Blackline diesels came with the 1.9 150 BHP engine only, nicer interior trim than the CL IMHO, leather and those teledial wheels are pure Alfa, loved mine, they can be made to be epic in the Derv version.

Blacklines petrols came with a 1.8 TS engine which also had a very nice alcantara interior with the same red stitching as the Derv versions an with the 2.0 JTS engine which sports leather interior the same as the Derv.

The clovers came with 2.0 JTS, and the 1.9 diesel but afaik no 1.8 TS.

the diesels came in two versions, the 150 BHP with a cloverleaf badge on the boot and two wing badges but no sport button, then the 170BHP version which had a sport button, uprated injectors and fuel pump, no boot clover but the wing badges are present...I think the Cover 170's have the Q2 as standard where as in the both the blackline and 150 clovers the Q2 was an option only.

if money is no object get a later clover 170, they can be mapped to well over 200BHP on the stock turbo and with a hybrid turbo , mapping and some clutch work will make 260 BHP easy.

buy on condition rather than mileage as these cars can do big miles with no real issues.

good luck !

·
Registered
998 Posts
My take on this, i went for the Cloverleaf for its stunning wheels, also Blackline only available in black which is an utter pain to look after, you clean it, looks gorgeous but soon after shows up all the dust, dirt, chips, scratches as only black cars do best.

Now, the JTS is a good engine, not a great one, and takes a bit of looking after, IME you must keep oil topped up, put some injector cleaner through it every now and then, look for one with an uninterrupted history.

As a petrolhead i chose the JTS as i would never in a million years drive a diesel, utterly , utterly hate the things, and it does have reasonable fuel economy, the V6 , wonderful as it is, is well known for drinking like a fish.

I still daydream about getting one though..

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If it has to be petrol Then get the V6.

The JTS is a troublesome lump.

V6 will appreciate at some point....

Diesels and JTS not so much.

1.8 twinnie is a lovely engine but lacking in grunt IMO for a car the size of a GT.

V6 never came in CL or BL but trim and wheels can be bought if you must have the BL or CL look...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,I bought it.
A 08 ( on a 57 plate ) Gt Blackline. 75k on the clock. Full service history with the cam belt and water pump done 5k ago.
And I love it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Good on you for sticking to your guns

When i started looking for a Cloverleaf, the JTS was the only option for me, with commuting at the time a V6 would have cost a fortune to run. Just my opinion but the Diesel has no place in such a beautiful car.

I would however recommend keeping a fund in case you find the camshaft to be worn, or in need of new injectors, mine was run low on oil by a previous owner, taking a chunk out of the camshaft, so keep an eye on your oil !

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
well done and congrats!

which engine..?
2l jts petrol
Ok..handle with care.

Not the driving side..spank it..!

But keep a very close eye on the oil..10/60 is a must 1l every 1k is within "normal tolerances" also use premium fuel plus regular doses of injector cleaner.

I had a JTS GT and they do handle well with the lighter lump up front...

As Ber-tony rightly says have a slush fund ready for coil packs, camshafts and injectors.

You may be fortunate and have one that has been treated right...if so happy days!

Enjoy your GT!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Oddly enough i've never seen them referred to as BL before

Although some Alfa parts do seem like British Leyland (BL) had a hand in making them !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts