Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how's it going? I had a timing belt failure last week, and not sure whether or not it is worth getting her back on the road! A rebuild will be quite expensive, I know that! But I was checking things out on a Alfa Facebook page, and many said I should try and save her. Now, I've been offered a good deal on an engine from a guy (seems nice) from BK-Performance in Switzerland. He says the engine has had a new timing belt kit, bearings, water pump and gaskets. But my mechanic is very wary about me getting this engine as he says you don't know what you're getting at the best of times, let alone from abroad! Anyone here ever dealt with this company "BK-Performance"? Any advice would be very welcome! Cheers guys...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry for that timing belt failure. Best case scenario, buy an engine that you can see it running. But that`s hard to find.
Some warranty will be great, from those guys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
overdue belt that caused the failure?

·
Registered
854 Posts
We had and engine rebuild case here not too long ago.
the idler bent/broke at 96,000 km. Belts were ok

Had to replace the idlers, belts, 4 bend valves.... and the associated wear and tear parts since the engine was out.

Overall, the fix up wasn't much, didn't need to do a top overhaul.

Idler broke when car was idling at the traffic lights, so maybe the damage wasn't as bad as when you're gunning it and it snapped.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
tensioner failed probably causing it to run off line. I think Loz at Autolusso Bournemouth has a spare GTA engine.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Hiya.. think we chatted on Facebook..

never dealt with BK performance ... can i ask what the cost is..

As i know Dan from Autolusso offered you an engine and what he was asking.

find it difficult to see importing from Switzerland would be cheap.. though if it is.. I would take a chance on it rather than scrap a decent gta..

have they removed the heads yet today and got any further info on engine condition.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I'm not trying to sway your decision one way or the other, but don't forget there may be duties and/or VAT to pay on goods coming in from Switzerland. I know for sure they have to pay duties on stuff coming from the UK as I've sent a few Wizard exhausts there, along with other parts over the years.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'd drive out there and pick it up in person.

No duties to pay (ahem!) and you get to see the set up before parting with cash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts