Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody help me with a really bizarre electrical problem.
The original problem was down to a dipped beam bulb that had blown on the offside. I tried to changed the bulb started the engine and noticed the wipers going at max speed even though the at the stalk they were off. I removed a relay (which in the manual corresponds to the intermittent wipe) at the fuse board located at the drivers foot well and that stopped them. Meanwhile I had the hazard lights on and when I switched them off and started using the normal indicators at the stalk I noticed that all the indicators would flash regardless of left or right. I checked the hazard switch and the indicator stalk, they both seem ok. But I did notice that two wires a blue and blue/black are shorted and they connect to the stalk connector and correspond to left and right.

Can anybody help this problem or know where I can get a wiring diagram. I dread to think where the short might be but the preceding events leave me perplexed as to whether this is coincidence or a related problem. :mad:
:confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it sounds like you have upset one of the earth connections go back and look for any earth connections around the bulb you changed they look like a bunch of black wires on the same terminal.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jimybob

I did check for disconnected earth but found none. However, this does not explain the blue and blue/black wires being completely short circuit. I am 99% sure that these wires correspond to left and right indicator circuits. I've put back the intermittent wipe relay and the wiper problem has gone away.

I did read on this board that there is a risk of fuse boards delaminating, I wonder if this is what is happening on my car?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, its rare but we have had a couple of people with water ingress problems and then delaminated boards.

If the column stalks keep giving you problems they may just be dirty. JB posted how to take them apart and clean them.

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had also these bizarre problems with electronics. My heater fan works and don't work, when i manually ground it with jump cable it works fine for a while and then it starts to cut off again. And i've already changed heather fan motor and it's resistor... So these ground problems seems to be quite normal.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All

Thought I 'd give you an update.

Fault has been repaired.
Luckily for me it had nothing to do with a possible delaminated fuse box, but more to do with my being a little careless. When trying to locate the relay(ECU) for wipers I had inadvertently removed relay responsible for indicators and replaced in in the wrong socket. Hence, it shorted out left and right circuits. Presumably this is a relay socket for a legacy alarm system which was not used on my model because this function is incorporated in the alarm unit itself.
The wiper problem has not reappeared, however the contacts on the wiper motor have been cleaned and intermittent wipe is now working a lot smoother.

Thanks to all for assistance
Problem is fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts