Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me about rear sub-frames.

I was rummaging about under the fuel tank and I noticed that the bump stop had fallen off the o/side and was dangling loose inside the spring. I thought it had just fallen out but on closer inspection I noticed that the bump stop turret had collapsed altogether (that's the last time I take burly Rich' and his girlfriends out.. :rant: )

The turret seems to have rusted away.. it's just the frayed ends left now, so I doubt that the beast will take a new turret welded on. The fuel tank is just next to it too, so I imagine it's a sub-frame off job (also required if I have to fit a new sub-frame altogether).

Is it a piece of proverbial to remove? What's the story, Jackanory?

Can I drive aboot with no bump-stop as a temporary state of affairs (MOT, rozzers etc.)?

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
You can drive without a bumpstop but would not want to do it for long (if there is that much rust then I would worry for condition of subframe) - Infact a lot of people with lowered springs take one bumpstop out....

Subframe swap requires petrol tank to come off but once that is out the way shouldn't be rediculously diffucult (just time consuming).

I can't be 100% but there is a few subframes that will fit off other cars some sold till later (but most will require rear arms from 155). See this link for discussion on alternative rear subframes alfa155.org :: View topic - So what other rear subframes fit?

John

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aye! The subframe itself does seem quite sound (a few scabs of rust here and there.. but not bad for a teenager).. which is why I was surprised that the turret bit had completely crumbled away into ferrous nothingness.. :(

I'll have a nose aroond for a new sub-frames but if I find one half-way decent I'll shot-blast it and re-poxy coat it, so no worries, as long as it's structurally sound.

The beast needed to be done anyways... the roll-bar looks like the Titanic (actually Titanic is in slighly better shape) and the rear bushes/springs/dampers etc. could all do with a tweak.. they're the original 1994 kit. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Aye! The subframe itself does seem quite sound (a few scabs of rust here and there.. but not bad for a teenager).. which is why I was surprised that the turret bit had completely crumbled away into ferrous nothingness.. :(

I'll have a nose aroond for a new sub-frames but if I find one half-way decent I'll shot-blast it and re-poxy coat it, so no worries, as long as it's structurally sound.

The beast needed to be done anyways... the roll-bar looks like the Titanic (actually Titanic is in slighly better shape) and the rear bushes/springs/dampers etc. could all do with a tweak.. they're the original 1994 kit. :thumbs:

Ralf S.
Advantage with a swap off a newer car is hopefully it will have nicer subframe bushes as well.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye! Though they might not take too well to being shot-blasted and epoxy-coated. :D

I'll have to venture into Bishops G'Ford parts counter and see if the rubbers are still available. The fellas likes a bit of a laugh now and then :D (though AR managed to dig up all the front bushes last year, so who knows?)

I reckons anything shared with Tipo gives the 155 a fighting chance still. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Aye! Though they might not take too well to being shot-blasted and epoxy-coated. :D

I'll have to venture into Bishops G'Ford parts counter and see if the rubbers are still available. The fellas likes a bit of a laugh now and then :D (though AR managed to dig up all the front bushes last year, so who knows?)

I reckons anything shared with Tipo gives the 155 a fighting chance still. :thumbs:

Ralf S.
Firstline do them... look at my last reply to this very question a few posts down. Has pictures and part numbers.

If you wanna move the petrol tank a GTV rear subframe also fits (which gives you camber adjustment)

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are we talking about the Alfa155.org post?

I'll start looking for a sub-frame... Fiat Coupe (up to 2000) has the same jobbie by all accounts (so mucho prospects of finding one off a 20v Turbo that had been parked nose-first into a hedge or something.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Nah it was actually on 2nd page (thought I posted it less time ago than that)

So I have found some bushes that are listed for both Fiat Tempra and Tipo (92-95) so I would have thought should fit without too much trouble

Try Firstline parts FSM2028 and FSM2029 ( http://www.firstline.co.uk/op3/f_gra...ction=graphics )

Not sure what the prices are like but at least it would be worth a look.

John

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aye! Ta.. that'll be handy. I think if the beast is coming apart and a refurbed new member going in, it makes sense to put it back together with new bushes.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a fella with a 1998 Fiat Coupe Turbo (Killed in Action .. cam-belt failure :( ) who can do me a sub-frame.. I just got to work out how to collect the beast now (Cumbria!)

I may have to take a detour up there when I venture into the Wastelands of the North (Yorkshire :D ) on 4th July (NAD).

While I was nosing around I remembered that the Coupe Brembo calipers can fit a 155, innit? Matey sold his.. but it got me thinking. What do I need, to fit Coupe Brembo's, apart from a load of moolah and the bigger discs?

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
hmmm can't remember it's been covered a good few times on 155.org exactly what is required for which cars.

beware brembos won't even fit under 16" speedlines so wheel choice can be important...

John

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aye! The beast will have 17"s on it.. but it's a good point. I usually stick the OE Speedlines on it during winter (can't see the pot-holes in the dark) :eek:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dah!

The Younger Mrs S. who has the uncanny habit of talking only when she is about to say something profoundly sensible ;) asked; if the sub-frame is going to come out whether I'm going to fit lowered springs at the same time. :thumbs:

This is starting to turn into a project... :D

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Nah it was actually on 2nd page (thought I posted it less time ago than that)

So I have found some bushes that are listed for both Fiat Tempra and Tipo (92-95) so I would have thought should fit without too much trouble

Try Firstline parts FSM2028 and FSM2029 ( http://www.firstline.co.uk/op3/f_gra...ction=graphics )

Not sure what the prices are like but at least it would be worth a look.

John
Here is full link and aparently they fit as the other person has now re-fitted their subframe.

http://www.firstline.co.uk/op3/f_graphic_show.php?graphic[]=FSM+2028.jpg&graphic[]=FSM+2029.jpg&product=Rear+Suspension&action=graphics

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good lad, ta!

I'll see what I've got when the sub-frame arrives. I found a geezer breaking a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo (2002, so a good 6-8 years younger than Tarquini's subframe) who'll let me have the frame for not toooo bad money, as long as I collect it from Wales or somewhere. :eek:

I'll probably re-poxy coat it so that it'll be "as good as new" and put new bushes on it. Job done forever then, I'd hope.

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Good lad, ta!

I'll see what I've got when the sub-frame arrives. I found a geezer breaking a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo (2002, so a good 6-8 years younger than Tarquini's subframe) who'll let me have the frame for not toooo bad money, as long as I collect it from Wales or somewhere. :eek:

I'll probably re-poxy coat it so that it'll be "as good as new" and put new bushes on it. Job done forever then, I'd hope.

Ralf S.
And give the whole underside of the car a real good dose of cleaning and painting/sealing while subframe and tank is out.

John

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aye! :thumbs:

The n/side sill was done last year when I had the skirt and back bumper off off to weld a couple of small patches into the rear wheel arch. I noticed the rubber mastic stuff on the sill seams had split and was letting water in there to attack the floor pan.

That continued into that seam between the boot floor and the wheel arch and round to the outer rear arch (bubbling under the paint). It took a few weeks to sort all that out.

Offside wasn't affected quite so badly.. I patched up the mastic inside the wheel arch but didn't get round to removing the offside skirt... but I can see the mastic is splt along that seam too. Luckily, the floor is still in good nick, so it'll be just a strip and replace of the mastic (hopefully!).

Under the tank/floor looks splendid, though the towing hook was a bit nasty. A whole bottle of Ku-rust later.. sorted! :D

Apart from the rear-sub and the slightly dodgy offside sill seams, only the front subframe lets the side down. I may have that beast off too... but all the second hand sellers want £90 for the front sub-frame (Fiat Marea, Alfa 145/6 all fit)... so I'm still looking. Mine *may* clean up... but it'll be quicker to get everything I need, then swap old for new in one or more weekends.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also priced up some new rear dampers - mine are "sound" (OE/198k originals!! :thumbs:) but skanky.. and lowered springs, while I'm going to all that trouble! :D

Ralf S.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts