Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home today, after about 5-10mins, including a bit of spirited acceleration , I noticed some white smoke as I accelerated on the motorway, I managed to repeat it 2-3 times, each time above 3,000rpm, foot down.
A few minutes later I couldn't get it to repeat the smoke, and no more the whole journey.

I've driven a fair bit today (about 2 hrs total), and the engine was still warm when I started (1/4 up the temp gauge), so a little puzzled by it, fluid levels look normal (my coolant has always sat at min for some reason), and all seems to be in order.
Any ideas? (DpF and EGR sorted), I do have a tuning box, but set to moderate 4/10). Occasionally has a bit of a puff of white smoke in cold weather

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
strange that it went away after a bit, could be some moisture in the fuel? (supermarket fuel?). May be replace the fuel filter for now and just see what happens, intermittent issues are the hardest to track down.:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Engine type? Could be water evaporation from the back boxes (water vapor as a result of combustion collected at the bottom of the back box).

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the input, my main concern was the turbo oil seals, (hence the white (?) ), but not sure why there would be no smoke for the first 10 miles or so. I do usesupermarket fuel, but also use diesel Rhino with that, not that it could totally remove it.
Fuel filter has been changed in the last 20k, but you never know!

·
Registered
650 Posts
is it like a steam train thickness or just boiling kettle thickness, latter is condensation evaporating in the exhaust

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
is it like a steam train thickness or just boiling kettle thickness, latter is condensation evaporating in the exhaust
Wouldn't you expect the condensation to have fully gone when the engine's properly warmed up?
I have a similar issue to giblets, but with the 2.2 petrol. Though it's been doing it for at least a few years.
No coolant loss, no sign of oil/water mixing, drives perfectly, and has passed emissions test at the MOT twice no problem.
Seems to billow out the most after a good hard drive when I come to a standstill at traffic lights etc. I wouldn't go as far as ''steam train'', but more than ''kettle''.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, was thick enough to see 100m behind me, but having had a turbo go properly in my Old Audi ( disco effect, car 'ran away' off the end of the Rev counter before I stalled it) it was nothing like that thick!!!

The engine was still warm when I got in, would the exhaust be cool enough to condense in that time?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update, been away with work for a week, but started up no problem, and no sign of the smoke either, all very bizarre!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts